Both Dace and Best pike baits

Little Tinca

What do you think the reaction of the Sabs,pro lifers and animal rights people would be (not to say I would take any notice)if you told them what you were doing about sticking a couple of nice sharp hooks into a live fish, albeit just to help it swim and take it's part in the food chain.

It takes longer for the river to get to the sea than it does for a man to make an error.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Antis get live baiting banned.

No, never happen, there are 3 million anglers in this country.

Thats as daft as suggesting that lead shot will be blamed for harming swans and be banned.

No. never happen, there are 3 million anglers in this country. :rolleyes:

I,m feeling extra cynical tonight.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Eddie,everyone is entitled to their own opinion.But never delude yourself in to thinking that live baiting is unnessasary like some do! A lot of waters lives will outfish deads 20:1 on some you couldnt buy a run on a sea deadbit.Most people when they first get into Piking dont like the idea of lives me too many years ago.You soon learn different.I have took many mates Piking and many paying customers Catting who all said they would rather not use lives.I have respected their views and set them up with deads/alternative baits.Every last one of them has ended up changing their mind after seeing the results!Dont get me wrong on some waters deads are very good and when Piking I still put deads out along side lives on most waters.One example is the Sussex Rother.Each winter I fished it I used two lives and two deads I averaged over 15 pike a day but only had three on deads all year!The moral/ethical dilema of cruelty that you inevitabley go through is no different to the initial one we all face when we first get into fishing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The big difference is that most, if not all of us try our utmost to land and release a quarry as quickly as is possible and cause the fish the minimum amount of distress possible. Livebaiters however, do the very opposite.

Paul

When a fish is used as bait it is that ie bait it is the fish that is being targeted that is the quarry.As I have said each to his own.I make no one live bait it is their own choice.Disagree with my ethical/moral choice by all means but dont take the holier than thou atitude by saying I dont care about the fish,even the ones I use as bait.I respect your choice please respect mine.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Paul_D:

The big difference is that most, if not all of us try our utmost to land and release a quarry as quickly as is possible and cause the fish the minimum amount of distress possible. Livebaiters however, do the very opposite.

Paul_D - sorry but your post only makes sense if the bait were your quarry.

Unless UK livebait techniques and rigs are vastly different than US, the rig can (and should) be designed for safe angling and easy release of any fish caught.

The bait is not expected to survive the experience though.

Eddie - well put. You obviously don't like the idea of live baiting but kept your post to what you prefer with no attempt to tell others what they should do. I like that approach.

I do have a question for you though. Do you fish with only dead maggots/lobworms/other naturals? If not, where do you draw the line of "well, it's fine to fish with this thing while it's alive but not that thing? And this is a serious question rather than any sort of wind up.

I have no hesitation about using lives up to 2-3 lbs if available and if they will catch better and have always wondered how others made their decision about what live things are OK and what live things aren't. I know some will fish with worms but not live fish of any sort. Others will fish with small lives but would not use a small carp. I just don't know how you decide.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

This old chestnut again.

Anyone who thinks that using a live fish is unacceptable, should also take in to account the same feelings when they use as bait, maggots, worms slugs or even casters, as they are live baits too. Don't let the fact that fish are used to catch fish rule your head. If live baiting, it is advisable to lip hook anyway.

I don't live bait much at all but I think that the choice of bait should be left to the individual, far be it for me to dictate how others should fish. Lets just fish.