Seat box, continental box or chair?

Sulis

I need some advice!

I'm returning to fishing after some 10-12 years away from the sport (I really can't remember how long it is now) and i'm looking at replacing all of my tackle. I have very little left of my old stock, unfortunately.

This may sound like a trivial question, but i'm really confused. When I was last at the bankside, many people had Shakespeare or Daiwa seat boxes. It seems that these continental boxes are now the preferred way for many people. Having never used one, are there any advantages over the old favourite seat box? Are these primarily for match/pole fishermen? I've seen one by Fox for £150 or so, with 4 drawers rather than 6, and if you consider how much a Shakespeare box would be with strap, trays, footrest, etc, there's not a great deal of difference.

I'm a leisure angler, as match fishing doesn't interest me. Moreover, i'm keen to catch good sized specimens of any fish rather than bags of smaller weights. I am extremely dedicated to the sport, so something like this Fox seatbox isn't for show! The question is, do I really need one? I'm toying with the idea of a chair by Fox, Nash, JRC or something similar, as I do prefer the roving approach where possible. Anyone have any advice? I presume the drawers that these continental style boxes have are for storing all sorts of tackle, maybe negating the need for a general tackle box?

Sorry if these questions sound a little silly, just need some feedback from anyone willing to offer any :)

Many thanks.

Hi sulis,

If you prefer roving then i would go for the chair. Boxes, when full of tackle are heavy and although you have leveling legs you still need a reasonably flat surface to be comfy. a chair will be able to sit on the worst of grounds. Also if you are sitting it out for a biggy, then you can lean back and relax instead of slouching on your seat box and getting back ache.

I wouldnt fancy fishing a pole using a chair though so it depends on your style.

cheers,

rich

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

Sulis

I have tried them all.Continental boxes are too heavy and far too expensive for what they are but may suit a pole angler.Chairs are OK and my favourite but sometimes difficult to use on a river bank.Ordinary boxes are a good compromise and I often carry one in my car in case I can't use my chair.They are also useful when trotting a float on a river if you want to sit down. my suggestion would be a chair and a cheap box to give you a choice on different venues.I still can't work out why a 'continental' box should cost £300 though.Fashion maybe?

i've got a bog standard shakespeare box, and a fox stalker chair, covers me for most situations!

i also carry a couple of smaller 'tool box' type tacle boxes for rig bits and pieces etc, but these live in the shakespeare box

Chair for me, but if you go for this option i'd recommend you choose one with an aluminium frame over the cheaper steel framed chairs. You really notice the difference when on a long hike to your favourite swim.

p.s. My fishing pal sometimes uses a pole and just turns his chair around 90 degrees, works for him.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

The trouble with chairs and boxes is...

I end up too high to the water. Chub have a funny habit of cruising past (I bet they darn well wink at me) The recliner chairs are better.

The unhooking mat on the bank allows me to sit closer to the edge AND present less of an image to the fish. Plus when I move to the spot where nooneelse goes I can shift quickly. The low recliner always tangles up with the stile.

Have fun

"Muddlin' along"

• 2 weeks later...

If, as you say, you are pleasure angling, you will not be walking river banks etc. Use a chair as you can get attachments that will allow you to use most of the attachments you can get for a box, and this will allow you to sit and relax without having to jump up and down all the time. :D:D:D:D

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription