Fishing!

Little Roachess

Hi All!

I got everything ready to go fishing then did my back in-so this little lady has been benched all season!!! I got some old equipment and some new arrivals, too. Some free rubber maggots. Still, no tears, hey. I am still looking to go out to my local pond and try a bit of fishing some time next year, in the meantime I have had to console myself with a few Matt Hayes progs on telly and a few books from the library my sister-in-law has borrowed for me.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can go fishing without serious setbacks in health? I have just learned to walk again, and am keeping my other bones as supple as I can. I don't have a seatbox or seat to go on the bank yet, so I might appreciate some advice on a cheap but comfy chair appropriate to the job?

In the meantime, it would be great to hear from some likeminded buddies for some encouragement....

No bad op tales please!!!!

LR

try to get a chair with longish adjustable legs ,so when your sat ,your feet firmly on the floor and your legs bent 90* ,sat square and upright ,prefably a chair with armrests (something to grip when rising) you might want to get a trolly as well so your not lugging heavy equipment around .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I have MS so learning to walk is a pretty regular thing for me. Even getting to the waterside can be a problem but to help I would suggest a 'Grandslam folding trolley', and for a chair I personally use a Koram lightweight although I have heard there are lighter chairs. I would also venture to suggest that you consider going with someone until you feel fully confident. The British Disabled Angling Association run I believe by Terry Moseley might be able to assist you.

Wishing you well and successful angling

Rod aka watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Well, thanks fishing buddies, all very interesting info...I was looking at chairs with padding but nothing that reclined like some of these carp chairs seem to do...........and also I had a good laugh at the three-legged dog...I'm not classed as disabled because I can walk a few yards with and without pain depending on the day, so I really am curious if the BDAA may be able to help me, and I wonder if I might be an unneccesary drain on their resources because I am not now bedridden and have relied on my own initiatives so far in my recovery because I didn't think I would be entitled. I have been seen as somewhat of a pariah as far as benefits people are concerned-although I have worked all my life and have never claimed a penny from the state, I still feel terribly responsible for taking money out of Marlene's (the lady at the dole office whom I spoke to about claiming anything for the time I have been unable to work) purse personally and not being able to return it with interest!!!!!!

I will welcome more input if you be so kind as to indulge, and I am determined to get on the bank come what may, whenever that glorious day might be................ty keep em coming...........xx

one of these ,might be good ,they look very virsatile ,tackle bag,rod quiver ,trolly ,chair means less too carry yourself .i have considered getting one for my roving ,not cheap but on a par with other top brand chairs .

http://trolleyleisurechair.com/FLP-Shop.html

dragoncarp do some cheap ,chairs and other tackle

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I too do not call on the resources for the BDAA as I don't want to be a drain on them another thing may be worth considering if you have a problem sitting down is the old fashioned shooting sticks I use them now and again, you sort of stand yet perch...hehehe

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I don't know enough about your back condition to know if this will be relevant, but I have a not-too-serious slipped disk, but have been neeeding to be careful and not do too much physically, which includes fishing. But I recently got a corset/back support thing and it helps. The doc has advised not to use it too often as the muscles would go weak if I did, but I used it last week for fishing and it definitely helped - though I only went for 90 minutes. I can give more info if it's relevant - PM me.

john clarke

I don't know enough about your back condition to know if this will be relevant, but I have a not-too-serious slipped disk, but have been neeeding to be careful and not do too much physically, which includes fishing. But I recently got a corset/back support thing and it helps. The doc has advised not to use it too often as the muscles would go weak if I did, but I used it last week for fishing and it definitely helped - though I only went for 90 minutes. I can give more info if it's relevant - PM me.

Well, i have three herniated discs at the lumbar spine and two at the cervical spine and degeneration through from top to bottom - so it's been a struggle to get this far - someone else has mentioned a corset/back support. I might consider this for future ref, thanks. x

I too do not call on the resources for the BDAA as I don't want to be a drain on them another thing may be worth considering if you have a problem sitting down is the old fashioned shooting sticks I use them now and again, you sort of stand yet perch...hehehe

love the perch quip! good of you not to carp on! i have passed your message on about the BDAA to some disabled friends of mine who was interested in fishing but didn't know about the assoc. thanks Rod!