Groundbait for perch

Mat Hillman

All this talk of perch has got me in the mood to try for one tomorrow :)

Hookbait will be lobworm as livebaiting is not allowed by my club. Venue is a "carp pool" type fishery

Anyone suggest a groundbait to use? is it worth feeding maggot into the swim. attracting prey fish, in the hope that the perch follow them?

any other suggestions?

Mat

Mat

All this talk of perch has got me in the mood to try for one tomorrow :)

Hookbait will be lobworm as livebaiting is not allowed by my club. Venue is a "carp pool" type fishery

Anyone suggest a groundbait to use? is it worth feeding maggot into the swim. attracting prey fish, in the hope that the perch follow them?

any other suggestions?

Mat

Are you allowed to spin/lure fish? if so I would certainly give that a go (my first choice for stripeys by far anyway), perch will follow spinners and lures, you can often see this in clear water and by using polaroids. Keep a spinning set up to hand and cast around the place from your static position, drawing the lure as close to where your worms are as you dare. That way you may well draw perch into your swim which in turn may have a go at your hookbait. I would loose feed chopped worms too. or add a few balls of compost (proper compost not the 'growing medium' stuff commercially sold in plasic bags) which are liberally infested with red worms. If all else fails be certain the have a few casts with a spinner/lure as last light is approaching.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I've never fished a commercial-type water for perch so I'd only be guessing if I tried to answer, but if you dig out Steve Burke's articles from the main site, I'm sure they will be a great help. Good luck, and let us know how you get on :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've never fished a commercial-type water for perch so I'd only be guessing if I tried to answer, but if you dig out Steve Burke's articles from the main site, I'm sure they will be a great help. Good luck, and let us know how you get on :)

The only large perch I've ever caught came from Wingham, and the capture was more down to Steve telling me what to do than any skill on my part!

I'm not sure spinning will be an option, firstly I don't have the gear, although I guess an avon rod could be pressed into service in a pinch, but the venue can get pretty busy.

I'm a bit concerned that putting any large quantity of bait in will simply attract the carp rather than stripeys.

Mat

Mat

Dried Ox blood, mixed into a dark crumb with some chopped worms (not too many though or the Crap will move in, in force). Wet-ish mix, aim for break up about 2-3' above bottom but better too wet than too dry, it does waft rather well.

Unfortunately you will also be pestered by Tench and possibly larger than average Snigs. Damn them all!

Could try a chum style mix too, if legering. Put some mashed fish into a large cage feeder, mixed with plain crumb.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

All,

Once again, I am not a perch expert so I have a question. I have fished for perch with the help of an expert (guide) who used frozen midge larva (attached to the lure). Are you allowed to use midge larva (especially live)? He said he would not where I was fishing in NJ. Never knew exactly why.

FWIW, they were, on average, two and a half - three pounds ea. Probably don't know how lucky I was do I?

Phone

an expert (guide) who used frozen midge larva (attached to the lure). Phone

The mind boggles, literally I just cant visualise that, care you expand a bit..or are you just having us on?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Dried Ox blood, mixed into a dark crumb with some chopped worms (not too many though or the Crap will move in, in force). Wet-ish mix, aim for break up about 2-3' above bottom but better too wet than too dry, it does waft rather well.

Renrag

Where would one obtain dried ox blood from ???

Mat

Mat

Hookbait will be lobworm as livebaiting is not allowed by my club.

...............Venue is a "carp pool" type fishery

...............is it worth feeding maggot into the swim. attracting prey fish, in the hope that the perch follow them?

Most definitely !

In fact I would go further than that and fish for tiddler roach etc with the maggot. If you choose a swim where it is fairly deep close to the bank, keep putting the roach back in the same place - just to one side of where you are roach fishing..

Have your perch rod ready baited with lob.

Two places to fish

1. On the edge of your baited area (keep the loose feed tight to one spot)

2. Close to the bank where you are "groundbaiting" with tiddlers - if very lucky you may actually

see signs of perch attacking the roach. Ideally a fish bait would be best, but as your club forbids it then lobs are the next best thing.

Good luck!

PS I see spinning is mentioned. Fine in clearish water - I had a few nice perch spinning in Ullswater earlier this summer after having got a charr out of Coniston.

However, if it's a "carp-commercial" type of water - as you describe, the water will most likely be muddy (whatever phone says :P:lol: ), thereby severely diminishing your chances on the spinner.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Emma two,

Not a wind up. We were using small "fish colored pudggy looking lures with a lip on them. I've seen them, or something similar a million times in the tackle shops but don't know exactly what to call them. The lip had a homemade (?) hairpin or sliding clip affair and the midge larva slid under it and trailed backwards toward the lure (does that make sense?). I'm not even sure the hairpin or clip was homemade(?). These fish, maybe eight or a dozen, were caught about 15 - 20 ft deep so the lure was either diving or sank of it's own. I'm afraid I wasn't the best of students or paying the best of attention.

If there are specifics you would like to know just ask. If I remember I'll try (?). Time of year was early Oct. We were in a boat. Water was "coolish" although I don't know exactly how cool. I used a 5.5 ft UglyStik rod, spincast reel, 8 lb Trielene line. The midge larva look like and may be bloodworms. He always referred to them as "midge larva".

Word was "perch were hot right now". I hired this really nice guy ($40 for 4 hrs, boat and bait) at the marina while I was biding my time waiting for another guy the next day to do some real fishing - carp!

Phone

Edit: Just thought, I guess for presentation it looked like the midge larva were or nearly were in the lure's mouth if it was a predator.

I don't know what else to say?

Ohh, I did think of something else to say. These were Yellow Perch and looked like the photos on AN of perch. I'm only assuming they are the same. Somone who's fished over here needs to confirm Yellow Perch and perch are the same fish.

Edited by Phone