oldie newbie!

dansmudge

hello!

firstly, just to let you all know i'm new to this board and also new (sort of) to the sport.

basically i've just taken up fishing again for the first time in 12 years (last wet my lines when i was 16).

i'd been thinking of starting again for years but had always thought "when i'm older!" but i've come to the conclusion that life is too short to not be doing the things that you love.

so i've been out, bought all the gear again, booked friday off work and will be going down to Wylands Farm (Battle) for 2 days of blissfully recapturing my childhood.

as you can imagine i'm ridiculously excited (much to the amusement of my girlfriend) to the point of dreaming about fishing every night this week!... oh dear.

onto my questions:-

as i said earlier my first trip will be to Wyland's Farm on friday (i went a few times when i was younger) and i've vaguely planned to ease myself back into it by spending friday on the field lake and then saturday on the house lake.

probably fishing luncheon meat or sweetcorn on a waggler over pellets or groundbait, or maybe open ended feeder.

but this is based on my 12-year-old knowledge of the place!

so can anyone give me some up-to-date knowledge of these lakes, how they're fishing, whether i'm choosing the right techniques or even the right lake?

i'll be getting to Wyland's at dawn on both days and fishing till late afternoon.

i like to keep things reasonably simple and in a ideal world i'd rather catch 10 nice sized fish than the "1lb fish a cast" that i remember a day on the field lake could sometimes be like.

thanks in advance for any help you can give and i look forward to putting more misguided/down-right-stupid questions to you all!

cheers

dan

by the way if anyone is going to be at wyland's farm on friday you'll be able to recognise me no problem, i'll be the only person on the bank without a spot of mud on any of my gear!

feel free to came and say hello!

[ 23. September 2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: dansmudge ]

i've just realised that i've fallen into the internet trap of forgetting that not everyone on this forum lives within 10 miles of me!

so, to the people who have never fished, heard of, or even been within 100 miles of Wylands Farm (east sussex) i'd still appreciate any tips for second-time-round-beginner going on his first fishing trip for 12 years!

thanks again

dan

dansmudge:

by the way if anyone is going to be at wyland's farm on friday you'll be able to recognise me no problem, i'll be the only person on the bank without a spot of mud on any of my gear!

feel free to came and say hello!

Probably won't be dressed from head to toe disguised as a tree either. Welcome to A.N.

By the way, there are many far older than you on A.N. Diamond Geezer, for example, started with a brand new greenheart and whale-bone pike rod that was state of the art in its time.

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

Probably won't be dressed from head to toe disguised as a tree either.

Welcome to A.N.

By the way, there are many far older than you on A.N.

Diamond Geezer, for example, started with a brand new greenheart and whale-bone pike rod that was state of the art in its time.

Hmmh! Can't argue with that, mainly coz old Peter Waller was there at the time to help me purchase them :D

DG

Welcome back to angling and to the forums dansmudge. If you ever need help on anything just ask, as already said, there is a mine of information here :)

Sorry, can't help you with Wylands Farm though :(

Tight lines

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I have only one word to say to anyone starting fishing again: ENJOY.

I think you'll find some improvements in tackle (I'va seen a few in the 50yrs I've been drowning bait!!) :D:D:D:D:D:D

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Try fishing the "New Specimen Lake" for carp but with a float rod and casters.Use a 4lb mainline.a 2.5lb high tech hook link,16 forged hook with a waggler fished just past the tip of your rod.Keep feeding the casters in on a steady "little but often" basis and they will soon move in 1lb -20lb!great fun and you will catch far more than the buzzer and boillie brigade.They do a good bacon butty in the cafe as well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!