Luncheon meat probs

manse

The other way is to push the hook through and twist by 90 degrees, until the bend makes a loop on the other side of the meat. Then push a small piece of grass between the hook and the meat and tighten.

This should stop the hook pulling back through.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elton, it was a hot day plus it was in a plastic bag so thinking about it should i have left it out in the open air in a tray.

I hooked it either hook pushed through and turned or just hooked through a corner.

should i slap myself now or later :D

You can use the meat as groundbait.

Cut into cubes and push them through a maggot riddle then fish a cube over the top.

it creates a nice fine carpet of meat.

You can also put a nip of the stuff in between two plugs of grounbait in a feeder.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I usually use those Korum hair rigs and I find them extremely good. The only downside for me is that I dont like using hooklengths. I prefer to fish straight through but use hair rigs for the sake of presentation.

As I found yesterday on the Loddon, if you get a decent hair needle, you can pull small hook sizes (12 and above) through like you would a hair, then just twist the hook ninety degrees and push the point in the meat.

Tight Lines,

Matt AKA "The Kid!"

FishingPosts

Monkeyboy

may i recomend that you always use hooklengths, as well (as you say) for presentation, they are a must for fish safety, if the line breaks without one who knows how much line the fish is going to cary away with it, then get snaged, with a hooklength at least you know if its going to break it will more than likely break at the knot, or lower and only have a short peice of line attached, sorry to preach but it is important.

Smelly nets.

Canon S3 IS

Samsung S500

HOBGOBLIN

mailto:grahamnoone@hotmail.com

您在来信中写道

hi Gray,

Just another point of view on fishing straight through.

Those that do, asume that the line will go at the weekest point which is the knot at the hook, hence no line at all attatched.

With a hook lenth you have two more knots as weak points, which will give a greater chance of leaving line attatched.

Sorry to be perdantic, but it is a train of thought that is asumed by those that fish straight through.

.......Liam

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk

Here's a quote from a piece I wrote in the articles section here in Angler's Net called "Fishing Fallacies":

""A hook tied direct to the reel line is stronger as there's only one knot"

I've started with a simple one that's been around for a long, long time - and wrong for equally as long!

Naturally, all knots weaken the line, some more than others. However, the correct answer is summed up by the old proverb "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link". In other words, whether you have 1 knot or 21, it's the weakest that determines the breaking strain of the line.

This fallacy may have arisen because the more knots you tie the greater the chance of tying a bad one. However, if you stick to recognised knots such as the grinner or palomar you can minimise such a risk."

Having said that I can see both Liam's and Gray's point of view. However, on the rare occasions that I've snapped up, the line has parted either at the knot or the ledger stop.

This may be because I'm almost paranoid about checking my line for weaknesses whilst fishing - I won't hesitate to cut off line and re-tie it if any weakness is apparent. One early warning is a roughness if you run your fingers up and down the line.

I'd that that I often tie the hook direct to the reel line, but do also use lighter hooklengths a lot, but for different reasons. In particular it gives me greater presentation options, both regarding the strength of the hooklength and the material it's made of.

[ 22. June 2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Posted twice in error - please delete.

[ 22. June 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The easiest method I have found for casting out huge lumps ( and I mean half a tin sized piece)of hair rigged meat is to put it in a large pva bag, fill it with pellets and then you can cast it to the horizon without fear of it coming off the hook. Or you can use a normal sized cube and fill the bag with grated meat and pellets.

The Carp and Tench don't know whats hit them as they are not used to seeing meat at a safe distance from the bank

Try www.Carpinn.com and@phone Tom for your PVA bags, 100 of 6"x4" for £7.00( Tell him Huyton Keith sent you ).

You can't get better then that!.

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.