Eating Coarse fish: Food Programme R4 Today

phil hackett

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cheese paste:

I dunno, I could never eat a perch or any of the fish i like catching.  i just couldn't do it.

Don't you eat fish then?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

cheese paste:

I do but tends to be sea fish like cod.  I've tried trout but didn't like it.

So if you caught a cod would you eat it?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

In theory it sounds good to me, if we can catch and eat sea fish why not freshwater fish? and if it were to be taken up by the big companys then the fish would have to come from a fishfarm not a fisherie or river or alike.

the problem though is this:- if you could go to your local supermarket and buy say chub fillets or a pike steak, why wouldn't you just go to the river catch one and bring it home for tea? must people would, and the question is could the rivers sustain this, i doubt it in todays climate. the rivers are mostly already suffering as we know and it wouldn't just be the already keen angler that goes to catch them, it would be those wishing to save or even make a few quid angler or no angler.

it may have happened in victorian days but nowadays there are a lot more mouths to feed, more technologically advanced fishing tackle with which to catch the fish and more unscruplious people who would simply net a river or lake or whatever and rape it of its fish.

so a good idea but i suspect with dire consquences to the nations fishstocks.

p.s tryed pike steak only once with mint jelly and i have to say ....yummy ...

fat, stupid hobbit.

corydoras:

corydoras:

I do but tends to be sea fish like cod.  I've tried trout but didn't like it.

So if you caught a cod would you eat it?
I knew that was coming. I think it comes down to me having some sort of respect (not sure if thats the right word) torwards freshwater fish. They are after all part of the sport I enjoy so much.

I see cod as more of a food fish and as I don't fish for them, then thats fine for me. And the same goes for haddock, mackerel etc. But in my canteen at work once they were serving shark steaks but I just couldn't bring myself to eat some. Sharks fascinate me and don't think they should be eaten.

Frodo and Leon, the point I was making is that unless these fish were packaged in such a way as to compare with what we now purchase then no one would bother, espacially as they are mostly tasteless and full of bones and scales,

So you decide to have Chub for dinner....you get to the river and only one swim is free and you blank..... off to the supermarket......next week you try again and fail again as all the chub have been eaten... so off to the supermarket again...next time you don't bother, you go to the chippy and buy the usual cod and chips.

That is the reality of eating coarse fish and I cannot see it changing unless it is done on a huge fish farm type of factory farming, none of which would affect our river and lake fishing.

After all many people eat trout, how many of them (non anglers) decide to pop down to the river to catch the dinner?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I had pike last week.

Had it once in Sweden (where you can buy them in fishmongers), but it came as part of a rice dish so didn't really tast it the flesh on its own. Always wanted to try it again so last week kept a 5 lb one and we split it open and cooked it on the BBQ.

First thing that amazed me is just how much meat there is, a lot more than a 5 lb cod. Enough to feed 4 with potatoes and green beans. I've read that theres not a lot left by the time you've removed the bones but not true.

Second thing was how nice it was - very firm white flesh with quite a strong taste. I enjoyed it but can see people really disliking it.

There are a lot of small bones which are a bit of a pain, but no worse than a kipper!

poledark:

So you decide to have Chub for dinner....you get to the river and only one swim is free and you blank..... off to the supermarket......next week you try again and fail again as all the chub have been eaten... so off to the supermarket again.

That is the reality of eating coarse fish and I cannot see it changing

Den

Ahem, I think you got your reasoning a bit mixed up there.

So it would only be the ones who wanted to take the fish that would blank as you see it, no chub for them = no chub for you. Now that would be a change would it not? :confused: