A new way to hair rig luncheon meat.

I don't think anyone was putting the lad, (or his idea), down. It's good to see a youngster actually thinking about his angling. I would run out of space if I tried to put down the ideas I've tried to come up with over the years, some have worked, some failed, but the majority have made no difference. Other than congratulating him on trying to improve his presentation, I can't really comment on the idea, because I don't use a hair rig, I prefer to put my bait on the hook. With luncheon meat, that can be as a cube, as a rough torn off piece, as multiple pieces or as long strips, depending on the situation.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Bootlaces are one reason i often put meat on a hair.

And Chub; On a clear stream they often dart away from the shoal with the meat in their lips before swallowing.

If the luncheon meat you use is so soft that it comes off in a fast current I would look for a different brand.

I use a very firm flavoured luncheon meat which doesn't come off on the cast and if I wanted to hide the hair stop I would pull it into the meat.

But Hey, you have got to give the lad credit, at least he is using his noddle and thinking of ways to overcome fishing problems. good on you lad, well done.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I am really surprised that nobody has mentioned frying the meat yet in order to toughen it up. I remember watching a Jon Wilson dvd a long time ago in which he mentioned that he like to chop his meat up and then fry the top and bottom of the slices. It toughens up the meat without stopping the juices and oils leaking out in from the middle portion. It has always worked for me when I have remembered to do it the night before. :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I am really surprised that nobody has mentioned frying the meat yet in order to toughen it up. I remember watching a Jon Wilson dvd a long time ago in which he mentioned that he like to chop his meat up and then fry the top and bottom of the slices. It toughens up the meat without stopping the juices and oils leaking out in from the middle portion. It has always worked for me when I have remembered to do it the night before. :D

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

CONGRATULATIONS AddictedToScopex I just knew somebody had to know about it. sometimes I just flash fry one end, sometimes just one side seems not to put the fish off at all.

Well done AddictedToScopex for being the first to mention it and you can grill it or make it into a paste or even cut it into strips and flash fry it. Or just not bother.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I just use bacon grill, tough as old boots.

Good idea though, probably useful if you want good presentation for finnicky fish.

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."