Autumn/Winter 11/12

Chris Plumb

That's an amazing haul of Perch :thumbs:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Looking forward to this Winter season.I didnt get out piking much last season with one thing and another but looking forward to it this year.Going to do a bit more perching as well hopefully.As usual I will mainly double up the perching with the weekly livebait catching session. Cant live or deasdbait on the water I will be trying so it will be about time I started to suss out worming tactics properly.Looking forward to it and have a good teacher lined up!

On the subject of perch it was really nice to see the comeback they have made on the Broads when we were up there recently.Didnt specifically target them but had several nice fish up to around the 2lb mark whilst trotting.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't resist another perfect weather forecast yesterday morning - mild, still and overcast. At the water's edge way before it was too light to see my float and spent the first ½hr just trickling in some maggot. 1st cast produced this beauty...

3-05Perch.jpg

3lb 5oz

Alas the crayfish moved in shortly after - usually a sign that the fish have vacyed the area and the reason soon became apparent as a pike kept swirling at prey fish. It also took a liking for lobs but alas bite through my hooklength. Did manage 5 more stripeys between 1¾ - 2lb 10oz. I thought the onset of bright sunshine might kill sport - but it did produce one final bit from this handsome 2lber....

Schooly2lber.jpg

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• 3 weeks later...

This year I'm fishing the Dorset Frome for the 1st time - a river I've been wanting to fish for a while. Made my debut on the river at the weekend - bit surprised to see so much colour in the water - not great grayling conditions. Thankfully it wasn't totally hopeless and I winkled out this beauty at 2lb 11oz - my biggest lady for 3 seasons.

Grayling2-11.jpg

Will be back down there in the New Year in the hunt for that elusive 3lber - my PB has been 'stuck' on 2-15 since Jan 2002!

C.

Will be back down there in the New Year in the hunt for that elusive 3lber - my PB has been 'stuck' on 2-15 since Jan 2002!

C.

Lovely fish Chris but as the teachers used to write in my school books...must try harder... (to beat your PB) ;):D

Lovely fish Chris, nice one - especially from a new river. I've only ever seen the Frome on TV, it looks fantastic. Got any pics of the river?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've fished the Frome since 1970 and have yet to see a grayling over 2-08, my best being 2-06 though I fish the Wareham DAS water rather than further up. Decades ago we never bothered about the grayling, catching the odd one as big as 1-08 and a 2lb one was a fish of a lifetime; we were more interested in the roach and dace (rare now above the tidal). Grayling over 3lbs are exceptionally rare below Moreton, and typically even if caught are rarely still around the following year. The head of grayling is quite low at present and the thick colour in the water something of a mystery; it should be clear at the current level. Fished it today on the tidal limits and had two at 2-04 and 1-12, the bigger being the best I've ever had from that stretch. The water is still dirty suggesting drainage/dredging?

I've fished the Frome since 1970 and have yet to see a grayling over 2-08, my best being 2-06 though I fish the Wareham DAS water rather than further up. Decades ago we never bothered about the grayling, catching the odd one as big as 1-08 and a 2lb one was a fish of a lifetime; we were more interested in the roach and dace (rare now above the tidal). Grayling over 3lbs are exceptionally rare below Moreton, and typically even if caught are rarely still around the following year. The head of grayling is quite low at present and the thick colour in the water something of a mystery; it should be clear at the current level. Fished it today on the tidal limits and had two at 2-04 and 1-12, the bigger being the best I've ever had from that stretch. The water is still dirty suggesting drainage/dredging?

Mark - the colour of the water surprised me too - given that they haven't had excessive amounts of rain. I started at Worgret - but it was too hopeless for grayling - way too muddy - though my only fish from this stretch was a good dace of 10oz. Moved to Wool in the afternoon where the river was appreciably clearer - and consequently managed to wangle out a lady or two...

C.

Chris,

There is something strange going on with the Frome. Last time there was a modest flood, about two weeks ago, the river was almost black rather than the more usual milky tea colour, and since then it's retained the dark brown colour. I fished below the DDAS Worgret stretch and nearly turned back after getting to the river but decided to fish anyway and hooked 4 grayling in total, losing one. The tank training ranges at Bovington did have silt trap lakes built in the 60s that have subsequently been renewed but where the colour is originating I don't know; there are other streams coming in. I spoke to a salmon angler yesterday (he was legering for grayling) and he said the colour had been bad all year.

Still, nice to see a big grayling or two.