Lack of weed in the Severn

Ken L

About five years ago, almost all of the streamer weed along the middle Severn suddenly vanished. It does seem to have made a very slight recovery but there's still only 5 - 10% of the weed that there used to be in the fast shallow runs.

Intiially, I'd assumed that the weed was routed out by severe floods but I've since heared rumours of a herbicide spill and even a full blown conspiracy about a link to the strange brown colour of the river at the start of several recent seasons. Does anyone know what actually happened and whether anything is being done to put it right ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

and even a full blown conspiracy about a link to the strange brown colour of the river at the start of several recent seasons.

I assume by this you mean a brown suspension in the water. This was first noted back in the 60's and was a sign of a discharge from the clweddog reservoir.(spelling?) At the time all discharges were from the bottom of the dam and was cold de-oxygenated water. The EA now assure us that this doesnt happen as the water is mixed from varying levels.

Associated with the recent colouration has been a noticable reduction in temperatue of the river.

I also understand that the EA have a leagal responsability to maintain a minimum level at all times. Water for drinking is removed from the lower river. To help maintain the level bore holes around Shrewsbury are used. I am given to understand that this water is cold.

I have experienced the brown colouration as far upstream as Welshpool, so this points to the reservoir. Its also strange that a slight rain fall can put inches on the upper river and which lasts for over a week. To my mind the only explanation is the reservoir is being used to avoid it flooding.

Perhaps we can send you some from the Welland.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I spoke to the chap grinning at the top of this page about this subject [Matt Hayes] and he pinned the blame on caravan sites.

He said that the 'treated' water these sites were pumping into the Severn had severely disturbed the eco system and were to blame for the lack of weed and lack of good fishing compared to days of old.

I understand he and big Des Taylor were starting some form of action group to whinge at the Environment Agency, but Matt being a man of his word and all that- it never happened.

Would have made a difference if it did.

I personally don't enjoy fishing the Severn anymore. I have tried for the carp in the river a few times to the avail of several million chub, but other than that I avoid it.

It has become an uninspiring and depleted part of Shropshire.

I would say above Shrewsbury upper, below down to Worcester middle and below that, lower.

by the way we did have some alga problems a few years ago, maybe the resultant treatment of that saw the weed off. I know what you mean, around Bewdley there is not as much.

[ 28. October 2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

I asked about 18months-2 years ago. The EA denied releasing compensation water from the bottom of the dam. Its released from several levels and is mixed properly by the time it gets a few hundred yards down from the dam.

They also denied using bore hole water from the Shrewsbury area. Strange though that a local informed me he can see this discharge from his bedroom window and it had been discharging frequently during that summer.

This is the first I have heard re discharges from camp sites. I know of three on the Severn and know for a fact that two has an overflow problem from their tanks.

quote:

Originally posted by grumpybum:

I asked about 18months-2 years ago. The EA denied releasing compensation water from the bottom of the dam. Its released from several levels and is mixed properly by the time it gets a few hundred yards down from the dam.

They also denied using bore hole water from the Shrewsbury area. Strange though that a local informed me he can see this discharge from his bedroom window and it had been discharging frequently during that summer.

This is the first I have heard re discharges from camp sites. I know of three on the Severn and know for a fact that two has an overflow problem from their tanks.

Cheers, gb,

Very interesting .... but surely this phenomenum occurs on rivers where there are no camp-sites etc.?

Sometimes, no .. very often, I think that the EA are taking the p*ss as well as our money.

:mad:

DG