Mr Cherry and JIm

poledark

Am I going daft in my old age or did there used to be a "Bernard Venables" type character called Mr Cherry who fished with Jim?

When I got my copy of Mr Crabtree I opened it expecting to see the characters called Mr Cherry and Jim, but no, they are Mr Crabtree and Peter :confused:

Should I call for the Nurse now? :D

Den

[ 27. October 2003, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Maybe we'll we them again :)

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/news/articles/8.html

'Ian Heaps, one of the country's most respected former world coarse fishing champions is embarking on his final angling road show tour this autumn and winter.

After many years of touring the country and sharing his experiences and wealth of angling expertise with anglers young and old, Ian has decided from next year to concentrate more on running his School of Angling at his 12 acre fishery in Pembrokeshire.

"The old shoe leather is now getting a bit thin," says Ian, "and I also feel the need more than ever to help anglers improve whatever skills they already have and also, importantly, to encourage youngsters to take up the sport by teaching them the basic skills required to catch that first fish."

Ian is also looking at putting together a modern version of the famous Mr Cherry and Jim illustrated instructional series created by his boyhood hero the legendary Bernard Venables.

Ian says, "You can't re-invent the wheel, but I would love to find an illustrator and journalist so that between us we can come up with todays equivalent of what inspired myself and many others to become enthralled with our

beloved sport."

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Mr Cherry and Jim were different, later, books to Mr Crabtree although along similar lines. There are 4 in the series: pike, perch, roach and trout. They're all very scarce and highly sought after, but I've all but the trout one up for sale on Classic Fishing Books (see link below).

There were several impressions, but the most sought after are the ones with full colour covers. Most of them had just a single cover colour, i.e. blue, black and white.

There were 2 Mr. Crabtree books written by Bernard Venables: "Mr. Crabtree Goes Fishing" which he wrote himself, & "Fishing with Mr. Crabtree in All Waters", which he part wrote. In addition there other Crabtree books that just used the name but Bernard Venables didn't write - and refused as a result to sign for me!

I've just bought a lot of rare fishing books, including signed copies of both of the above Mr. Crabtrees and I'll be listing them on the for sale page of Classic Fishing Books shortly.

To make matters more complicated BV also wrote another book in the Crabtree style called "The Piccolo Fishing Book". This featured David as teacher and young Nick as his eager pupil. Again this is very scarce, but I've 2 copies for sale at present.

In similar vein, and also very scarce but not as highly sought after, is Hugh Stoker's "Fishing for Bass with Bill & Bob". Again, I've a copy for sale on my web site.

[ 27. October 2003, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

"Mr Crabtree and Peter" - Daily Mirror strip cartoon, which started January 1947 in each Friday's edition of the Mirror if my memory serves me (could be a different day of the week). - It was published as a book by the Daily Mirror in 1949 (republished again recently)

"Mr Cherry and Jim" - Angling Times strip cartoon from 1953 onwards. SIX books published by Angling Times featuring these two characters

1/Fishing for Pike 1961

2/Fishing for Roach 1961

3/ Fishing for Perch 1962

4/Fishing for Trout 1962

5/ Lets go fish No 1 (For tench, barbel, bream and carp)1964

6/ Lets go fishing No 2 (For Grayling, rudd, dace and chub)1964

There was a third strip by Bernard Venables,"Mr Willows and Tom", started July 1963 in Creel and ceased when BV left Creel in Dec 1964

I still have my original copies of all of the above - happy days!

PS Fishing for Bass,with Bill and Bob - published by AT in 1966. Written by Hugh Stoker, drawings by Arnold Wiles. Nothing to do with Bernard Venables

The Piccolo Fishing Book mentioned by Steve, was published in 1981

[ 27. October 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thank God I asked, I thought I was going senile!

Thanks all of you........OK nurse, you can leave me now :D:D

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Vagabond:

"Mr Cherry and Jim" - Angling Times strip cartoon from 1953 onwards. SIX books published by Angling Times featuring these two characters

1/Fishing for Pike 1961

2/Fishing for Roach 1961

3/ Fishing for Perch 1962

4/Fishing for Trout 1962

5/ Lets go fish No 1 (For tench, barbel, bream and carp)1964

6/ Lets go fishing No 2 (For Grayling, rudd, dace and chub)1964

There was a third strip by Bernard Venables,"Mr Willows and Tom", started July 1963 in Creel and ceased when BV left Creel in Dec 1964

Thanks, Vagabond, I'd forgotten about the two Let's Go Fishing books!

Incidently, I've a bound copy of Volume 1 of Creel up for sale. Please see my website below. I've also just been offered a complete bound set of all the Creel magazines.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

DG, I must warn you that I am saving all your pics for use as evidence in the future :D:D:D

Great stuff, keep'em coming :D

Den