Guess the weight people LOL

Tigger

Andy,

We lie - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - we really do!

Phone

It is a part of our "angling culture". Equally, for some reason, I've never know a guy that didn't confess if caught. Laughter follows (???).

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy,

Thought I'd better come back to this for a moment.

We have far, far, far, fewer anglers than you have in the UK with a "serious side" to their fishing. Rarely is it as "important" to be forthright. When it is important of course we rely on certified scales and stewards (etc) to insure the integrity of the sport.

It is very "English" to present a fish in a horizontal position. We present fish vertical (often with grippers). When first exposed to "European" carp fishing that's what I used to accuse them of doing (loading the dice). Counting the weigh sling and adding water (for safety) - then accumulating the weight for a total. The more upset the "euro" anglers became (especially Brits) the more I "twisted it in the wind". I could give a chit less really.

"When in Rome" came to pass for the very few serious American (and ex-Pats) carp fishermen. You will see most carp presented horizontal in photos anymore.

Game fish still vertical.

Phone

Fair enough.

I think the main reason people, sorry, the English, hold their carp horizontally is more because of the bulk of the fish in question and it wouldn't be fair to hold a carp vertically by it's relatively small mouth.

I'll hold fish whatever way looks good.

Horizontal

25andahalf.jpg

A Jaunty Angle

Andywitha18Lber03.jpg

Vertical

AndyWithA17lber02.jpg

In The Water

DoubleInTheMargins02.jpg

Going Back

TheBraceReturned04.jpg

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I've just shown that to my (Scottish) mrs and asked "where's he from?" - got it in one. Genetics or environment, I wonder?

Probably my rugged good looks... :headhurt:

I was going to say the name badge is a clue but then again, there's an ECHO badge beside it, so that doesn't count. Must be the environment and my general Glaswegian type rotten dial.

Or maybe it's the fact it says Macfarlane (big clue) over there above the lamprey's mooth.<<<<

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

That's McFarlane. If it's Prefixed with McF, as in McFarlane (normally Irish)....of its Macfarlane (Scottish). Those are the original versions.

Mind you there's been so much name changing, variation, immigration, marriage from Irish/Scottish descendnts etc. You will find both in Ireland and Scotland.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Yesterday I went back to my spot where I caught the bream and where I think the bream are feeding when the water is up but fished from the opposite bank on the inside of the bend (I got permission of the farmer :) ) so much closer to the fish and better for laying on, i'd much prefer to watch a float than a quiver tip and the fish don't have the resistance on the take. The river water was only up by about a foot but lucky for me the tide had just come in ( I was a bit on the late side as it had just turned) and the river was up about four foot coverring the cattle drink where I wanted to fish. Anyway I threw out my float ledger set up (laying on) and started looking under a few logs etc next to me for a worm or two. I found a few small worms and put them on with several maggots and straight away the float sailed away but somehow I missed the fish (I imagine it had only got hold of the end of the worm). I did the same again on my next cast but this time connected with the fish and yeph my hunch was right about the bream feeding on the flooded ground :). I managed another two fish, the biggest being 6lb 12 ounces so I was very happy. I'm thinking of doing a mini pre bait session and see if I can find the larger specimines, maybe even try a night time excursion. It feels good when a plan works :).

I is a wee bitty confused. Which rivers do you fish for bream on in the Hebrides?

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote