How long can you keep casters in the fridge?

lozza

Thats an interesting tip Brian,any idea of the "science" behind it?

Can't explain the science but can say how it works

The addition of the sterilising tablet just keeps the water pure and basiclly stops the water from going rancid while its stood, 2 pints of casters and a sterry tablet will keep your casters for a month in top condition, to keep them longer just drain the water and rinse the casters top up with fresh water and add another tablet.

What you will notice is the lack of a foul smell from the water after everythings been stood for 3 or 4 weeks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't explain the science but can say how it works

The addition of the sterilising tablet just keeps the water pure and basiclly stops the water from going rancid while its stood, 2 pints of casters and a sterry tablet will keep your casters for a month in top condition, to keep them longer just drain the water and rinse the casters top up with fresh water and add another tablet.

What you will notice is the lack of a foul smell from the water after everythings been stood for 3 or 4 weeks

That's the best tip I've seen in years - cheers Brian!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

There speaks a true roach angler. Never throw casters or maggots away - even if they sometimes hatch in inconvenient places. The car, the garage, the campervan, a tackle bag left behind the sofa......... :rolleyes:

I don't know if I qualify as a true roach angler seeing as a barely make the effort of late and if I'm being honest, I really prefer rudd....lol

I'm an expert at making bluebottles though ad I reckon I've got the biggest tub collection in Scotland. I never think to take one with me to the tackle shop.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Guest bbamboo

Great tip Brian thanks

This is what I do and it works really well. turn your maggots into casters and put them in a pellet pump just cover the casters with water and pump all the air out ,I have had them from one weekend to the next they all sink and catch hundreds of fish for me, ( I remove the water about every second day and top back up).

The tablet idea sounds great I will try adding one to the pellet pump idea I will hopefully not need to refresh the water again.

One other thing is if you can keep your casters longer you get a pint of casters froma pint of maggots so there is no waist.

Gary

Edited by bbamboo

Guest bbamboo
Like the combination of pump and tablet idea Gary. To get a pint of casters from a pint of maggots though you must be getting some top quality maggot to start with.

Yes thats right

Every monday I get a pint of white maggots cost £2.50 by Saturday all the maggots have turned to casters, this time of the year you need to keep them some were warm, in the summer I just put then in the shed for a week.

Top Quality bait from Darlington Anglers centre in North road,

The addition of the sterilising tablet just keeps the water pure and basiclly stops the water from going rancid while its stood

In answer to Lozza’s question, yes you can. You need to freeze them quickly in a thin layer in a plastic bag (not a big lump in a bait tub) to stop ice damage. When thawed cover them with water to keep them hydrated. Don’t re-freeze.

Interesting idea/tip with the sterilising tablet Brian. Does the tablet stop the decomposition of the internals of the caster? As in when you crush a few is it black, gooey and smelly or normal as in a ‘fresh’ caster?