Climate Change

wunnus

who`s promo.match.com and why do they want to create a cookie??

quote:

It's the polarity change that worries me.

thats already happenend several times in history :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter
chesters1:
thats already happenend several times in history :)
Yep, and look what happened last time. The birds all flew North for the winter, most land-based animals disappeared, and the tories won the General Election!

wunnus:

I understand the cycles of the ice age will roll round. I understand the impact of the Gulf Stream. But other areas of the world at the same latitude do not have a gulf steam to protect them. They have the same day length. The land locked areas eg Poland do not have the moderating influence of an ocean nearby. Coastal areas such as the US/Canada border is a similar zone. Freezing of the sea is possible but the probability is less than say Rotterdam. In each case there appear to be species that thrive. If the atmosphere is warming up I should think it is more likely that we there will be an increase in humidity. More humidity means more rainfall.

On an annual cycle; if the depressions that feed us are going south during winter then they will not go so far north in summer. This should give us an even distribution of moisture, so it will be Wales all over. Now that IS a grim thought.

Get the fly gear out boys it is time for trout. I think Pike like them as well. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Most places in the world at the same latitude as western Europe are a lot colder. Day length may be the same, but a spending a winter in Quebec or North Korea is a pretty harsh experience. New York is a lot further south than London but gets a lot colder in the winter. If talk of atlantic conveyor stopping are true, that's what it will be like here.

Yep Stumac I agree with those observations, but life goes on, the only thing is that New York and Quebec are not inline for the prevailing winds or surrounded by ocean. The extremes of the arctic circle are not freezing up worse than before. we will be part of some gradient of temperature zones between the poles and the equator.

If you go to

www.co2science.org/edit/v4_edit/v4n14edit.htm

The gulf stream may well be replaced with a different current. It sure wont mean a still ocean.

Old Fred Hoyle is really setting out a different stall. The real hard data is that we are getting warmer worldwide. I dont beleive that this means Barbados aqll over. Warmth will mean more moisture and real wet all over.

I suspect it will mean a longterm net increase in rivers and wet areas. The warmth will be locked up in clouds and water vapour.

Is this bad for my fishing?, well I dont know. I have a sneaky feeling that there might be some interesting side effects. If the frost free days goes down and the hours of sunhine goes down, well then, what if... Sounds like visual predators will need to adapt. Rivers could be faster, perhaps upland species might thrive. Perhaps even upland species from milder climates will be feasible.

"Muddlin' along"

Leon Roskilly:

Leon Roskilly:

It's the polarity change that worries me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,...1097622,00.html

Does it for me :(

Tight Lines - leon

Thanks for this reference Leon, interesting reading, as is the potential for polarity change. I was wondering whether to mention them to Wannus :D

It would appear that if there is anything important we would wish to do, we had better try to do it in the next 10 years. We have a good choice, death by glaciation, polarity change, rising seas, lack of oil for heating, fuel, lubrication, industry, food, water supply, sanitation, electricity, clothes, and medicines - not to mention false teeth or glasses.

:confused:

I'm just glad I'm a silver surfer but just wonder what will be in store for my granddaughter of 7!!

Please help conserve the European Freshwater eel

- return all eels alive to the water.

- Join the European Eel Anglers Association

So if europe is buffered by the gulf stream and thats taken away by global warming,BUT they say that harsh winters are ahead?

Then howcome that scientists predict that by 2050 there wont be any skiing resorts due to the lack of snow and temp?

Glaciers will melt first apparently creating rivers. Then as it warms up the permafrost will disappear. Very sad to know as a skier and someone who likes the world as it is!

ICE AGE.........Bol#ocks!

But America does F all about it sitting back taking money from oil magnats.

THE US IS THE WORST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD FOR POLLUTION PROBLEMS

monkeyboy:

...taking money from oil magnats.

THE US IS THE WORST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD FOR POLLUTION PROBLEMS

Yup. China and Russia would probably be able to beat us but they ain't got the money. :D

Errr - what sort of magnet attracts oil?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Fred Hoyle was writing about the impending Ice Age before Global Warming was mentioned in the 70's and 80s.

Now at

www.co2science.org/edit/v4_edit/v4n14edit.htm

He appears to back Bush and the USA to beat the ice age.

Don't ya jus kno' it makes sense. :confused:

The polarity thing.. errm the poles have always been moving, its says so on the OS maps. But look on the bright side the compasses will still work.

Oil running out? Well bring back the Reliant. :D

There sorted! :P

Now lets get on fishing. :rolleyes:

Warm water of course.

"Muddlin' along"