Mashed Bread

leedsunited

Unless 'mashed bread' is some arcane UK angling term that means something totally different than it sounds, remove the crust and squeeze it should mash it up pretty good.

Note that I had to qualify the response since I did learn a while back that liquidized bread WAS NOT bread that had been made into any sort of a liquid.

[ 08. December 2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The way I do it is to place two sliced loaves in my landing net, dunk them in the margins and leave there for a moment or two so that the bread fully soaks. Then lift out, and while still in the net squeeze out as much water as you can.

Tip the bread into a clean bucket, and give a good stir with a bank stick untill it is all broken up into tiny pieces. as long as you squeezed enough water out it will end up just sticky enough to cast in a cage feeder.

Just remember to hold a few slices back for hookbait ;-)

Mat

Mat

Personally i take a loaf of bread (sliced) preferably a couple of days old in a large freezer bag to where i am going to fish add some water and mash it by hand on the bank, I find that it goes in a cage feeder great, as long as you dont add too much water, and it gives both a cloud and some pieces though smaller than the flake on the hook, of course a few slices of fresh bread for flake on the hook.

"We will sit down and discuss it, then decide that I was right in the first place" Brian Clough the best england manager we NEVER had

I find for liquidised bread the cheap sliced bread is perfect,however for mashed bread, which I use mostly for float fishing or for groundbaiting but never in a feeder, I only ever use proper bread.

My normal method is to use bread that is about three days old, put it in a bucket and cover with water, when it's well soaked squeeze out as much water as you can, - - that's it. You must use fresh bread for hookbaits.

If you dont squeeze out as much water as possible the bread will take too long to sink when trotting because the water in it - errm, sort of floats. :D

If you have plenty of time, a good way of preparing mashed bread is to use 1 pint of water for every 1lb of bread, it takes longer to get it soaked but there is a lot less squeezing of excess water to do afterwards.

Hmmmm - so 'liquidized bread' does not have liquid added but 'mashed bread' does have.

And ya'll say I talk funny. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

But naming an appliance a 'liquidizer' when it does not turn anything into a liquid is more than passing strange.

A generator generates

A refrigerator refrigerates

A shredder shreds

A liquidizer blends, grinds, and chops ???

[ 09. December 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Lol @ Newt

Almost everything a liquidizer is designed to "liquidize" contains........liquid (water.

If you were to put fruit/veg or even raw meat into the liquidizer you could turn it from a solid state into a liquid state. Hence the name. :P

Although bread and a bunch of other things will not liquidize.

Not a single mention of a ladies stocking.

Break a loaf into rough pieces.

Peel the stocking off a stunningly beautiful woman. If you still want to go fishing after you've done that, put the bread in and run it through your fingers to mash it up. Then squeeze out the excess water and you're ready.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.