John Wilson Avon Rod

John 'BLOCK'

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i do mean the cork handle. Thanks for answering this for me. I was also wondering whether you were able to buy a seperate top section for the rod. By this i mean that the avon top you get, which is 1.25 t/c handles quite sweet, but i am starting to target bigger fish and i feel quite uneasy with this 1.25 t/c. So like you get a 1.75 t/c with the barbel quiver rod, instead of me buying the whole rod i was wondering if anyone knows whether i will be able to purchase just the top section, i.e. the 1.75 t/c.

I doubt that you will find a top with a different rating to fit this rod, the JW barbel system rod sections are not interchangeable in any way ( I have both... I'm a tackle tart!) but I remember reading somewhere that the JW Avon system rod is rated as 1.25 t/c but is actually nearer 1.5 t/c, I hope this makes you feel a little more comfortable when you are playing that PB barbel!

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Guest sslatter

Targetting bigger fish? Use the quiver top. On the plus side, it's a much stronger rod when set-up with the quiver top- designed for the heavy feeder, so I hear.

On the down side- you can't floatfish with it, hook setting may be a problem, and it has an extremely fast action..

..not my cup of tea, but if you get on with heavy ledgering, then it'll be for you..

Has anyone got both the Avon Quiver rod and the Barbel Quiver rod. If so can you tell me which one would be best in the situation of catching potential 20lb+ carp and barbel to about 10lb?

Also which one weighs more Avon or Barbel.

Thanks.

Baronizer, please try your mail again I hope its worked this time!

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates