John Wilson Avon Rod

John 'BLOCK'

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best fish on my Avon rod was a 20lb Common. I was ledgering when a number of good sized carp appeared right in front on me, feeding off the top. I chucked in some bread to keep 'em interested whilst I unclipped my ledger & put a controller on, within minutes of the carp appearing in my swim I was playing what was probably the pick of the bunch on a size 12 hook & 5lb line. After a splendid fight I landed the aforementioned common. :D

I've got a piccy, I'll have to work out how to upload it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow anglers. Having read mostly positive notes about the John Wilson signature avon/quiver rod, i have decided to purchase one for my birthday next month. However, i also intend on buying the Okuma Inspira reel to accompany it, but i am worried it will not fit as some people suggest that the reel seat is too small. Can anymore help me out please?

I would suggest buying the reel after you get the rod. Just take the butt section into a tackle shop with you so you can test out the reels seating. Well thats what I did.

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Ok thanks a lot J.K. i will take your advice. Just one more thing though, the reel i am getting is a match/feeder reel, so i was wondering whether there was a particular reel type, e.g. centrepin, that does not fit the JW Avon/quiver or is it completely random as to which reels do and which don't.

Thanks again.

it seems to be reels with larger seats that have trouble fitting, as a guide, my Shimano 5010 "just" fits, it's a bit of a tight squeze, but just slots in, anything bigger than that you'll have trouble with.

Best advice I could give would be to find a shop that stocks both the rod and reel you want and ask them to test it for you before you buy. I took my 'pin with me when I bought mine, the shop were more than happy to let me try it on the rod to secure a £70 sale

Mat

Mat

• 5 weeks later...