adams mill

Guest scoobs11

Guest davidP
Originally posted by Wazzy:

To DavidP

Fair comment with your last post,I totally agree after previously giving you a bit of stick.

Wazzy

Thank you Wazzy and the others - nice to know my ramblings are appreciated from time to time smile.gif

Guest trent.barbeler

Hi Keith T,

Your last posting makes clear all of our concerns and highlights perfectly the threat that anglers, not just those who fish for barbel face on the Great Ouse.

Knowing many farmers local to myself, I am aware that things financially are getting very tight for some of them. As such, every bit of extra income found from their businesses is welcomed if not saught after.

Because of what happened at Kickles Farm and the fact that farmers are a widespread community, much more of this may follow.

I am certain that if most landowners were faced with an income via ten anglers or the same income from 600 anglers, most would prefer that income coming in via just ten people on his land.

Thats all well and good for the farmer, but what about the 600?

Standing Domino's my friend.

Regards,

Lee.

Guest shrinktube

Nice post from Keith and Trent. Just for the record i hope i have not created the idea on my K/Farm post that i have it in for the society or for Steve Pope. Steve is in an unenviable post as heading up th B.S. A thankless task for anyone and i think he should be applauded for his efforts.

As for Adams i have no problems with the society winning it, i am sure whoever gets it the most important thing as that they look after the fish. I understand that MKAA are actually going to put in a bid to syndicate it themselves. Its only a rumour but i believe that the Adams farmer wants lower numbers of fisherman on the banks so that is probably why they think they are going to lose it. I hope they don't.

Again by rumour rather than fact, i have heard that the B.S bid is also based on filling the farmers bed and breakfast facility as well as the fishing rights, is this true/ if so i know that MKAA are very worried that thier water will be lost to the B.S on grounds in which they can't compete. The reason fot this is that the MKAA syndicate bid is based largely on the "local" anglers who have fished the mill for a long time. The B.S bid will incorporate anglers from all over the UK and will not take into consideration the wishes of the local anglers. I am not here to say which is right or wrong but i think there is arguments for both. Who will get it is anybody guess. The MKAA have alot of members but of course not all of them are barbel anglers, wher as the B.S also have alot of members MOST of which are barbel anglers. So whoever gets it will surely have to limit the numbers. Whichever way i dont think for a minute that the mill will be open to all members so maybe the B.S if sucessful will operate some king of rotating group or waiting list with potential members maybe being drawn at random from a hat?

Guest framey

as potters bar have at present 4 or five years left on their lease whats going to happen here. a lot of members join potters bar just for adams mill they have held the rights for as long as i can remember.

so are the future leasers going to wait until the potters bar lease is up or take on just the one side that MKAA hold?

if you were take part in any syndicate would you want some one from a £30 quid a year club catching the same fish as you are paying rip of prices for ?

I think not

I think a lot of this is hearsay and hype

Guest Spiderfan
Originally posted by trent.barbeler:

The Carp Society, much to its credit changed all that.  By booking in advance, any Carp Society member became able to realise a dream and a Redmire fish became possible for all.

Lee, I wouldn't give the Carp Society too much credit here, as they were grossing over 6 grand a year for carp fishing that was past its best in terms of a chance at the record.

I don't know what they paid for the lease, but the cynic in me says their bank balance was well into the black on the back of angler's romantic notions (you and I both). Also, if there was still a chance of another record back then, the lease would not have become available.

We're talking here about a fish that is still available (hopefully) to catch and not farmed off to a zoo or recovered dead.

Guest trent.barbeler

Hi Spiderfan.

Actually, I did not mean or indeed say in my post the when going to fish at Redmire as a Carp Society member, one was going to hopefully catch a record carp.

By then, Redmires glory days had gone.

Yes indeed Spiderfan, you are absolutely correct when you say that carp anglers go to fish at Redmire to realise a dream. Not of course to emulate Chris Yates but just to be there fishing. Most carp anglers would consider a Redmire caught carp a special bonus I'm sure. Their size probably doesn't come into it.

The Carp Society has always made money and probably always will. They have my blessing.

Regards,

Lee.

Guest Anuvver Andy

Hi Guy`s,

I don`t want to `rain on your parade`, but the Fishing at Redmire Pool is not under the control of the Carp Society,it is held by Les Bamford and it is only by his generosity that the membership are able to fish it.

The Carp Society make no profit from the fishing at Redmire.

Cheers,

Andy

Guest Spiderfan

Hi Andy,

There’s no parade to p on as far as I’m concerned. I am merely trying to discuss Lee’s comparison of Ouse barbel and Redmire carp.

I think that their respective access conditions precludes comparison if you consider the times when a potential record was/is available.

Access to Redmire Pool opened up only after Chris Yates’s 51lber was found dead and the lake was deemed past it’s peak and with it the ability to produce another record fish.

The Ouse is the antithesis of Redmire in that access is generally open to club members along its length with at least one barbel assumed to be alive and capable breaking the current record, maybe more.

The irony is that the Ouse situation will change toward how Redmire began.

Guest trent.barbeler

Hi Spiderfan,

Quote; "The irony is that the Ouse situation will change toward how Redmire began."

Absolutely spot on.

Regards,

Lee.

Guest Anuvver Andy

Spiderfan and Lee,

Sorry for butting in Guy`s, just wanted to put the record straight about the Carp Society`s involvement in Redmire.

I`ll shut up now smile.gif

All the best,

Andy.