Are you Mr same set up

Dave H

Hawk,

The ones I really can't do are the wearing apparel tarts. Not so much the English and the camo look (it's ok by me) but the guys over here that have 150 different patches on a vest, hat, pants, boat, car/truck, etc etc. The "professionals" get money to wear that stuff. Everyone who is anyone trys to emulate the "pros". It's a joke. They get really really angry if you make fun of them. (It's no fun to tease them, most are armed.)

Phone

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that many session anglers spend much of their time gazing at their bobbins and watching for minute movements. It's what they have those expensive Delkims for isn't it?

They are not going to do anything until the line is pouring off the reel anyway. If they noticed that a bobbin had moved 1/4 of an inch while they weren't watching the only thing they would do about it would be to adjust it back into line so it looks "pukka"

I don't use a rod pod and my rods point at my baits whenever possible.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Where names,trends/fashions dont bother me at all when it comes to the neat and tidy set up I am a complete TART! My obsession with everything being lined up and level I like to blame on my military back ground or my "Draughtsman's Eye" but in reality it probably borders on OCD!

As much as I cant bear a picture that isn't hung level I find it impossible to sit behind a bank stick that isn't perfectly up right! The slightest deviation causes me to fret and fuss till its sorted!

Does it catch me any more fish? well it certainly doesn't catch me anymore than my mate who just seems to empty his gear out on the bank! but it does catch ME more as I fish far more happily and confident with it all just so as I like it!

I think Den has a point about attention to detail.

In my match fishing days I would sit up the night before cleaning and tidying my gear for the next morning.....had to do it. Confidence thing again I suppose.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Phone...

I found the patchy thing much more in america than anywhere. I remember this ol timer guy who had loads of patches and he chewed tobacco i gotta say he was one funny character like straight out of the movies . He made laugh about his stories and said he knew a guy called Steve from London and asked if i knew him LOL. :lol: The game fisherman are a bit like that over here although yet to meet one chewing tobacco more like strepsils.

There is a bit of snobbery but in light jest between the OCD boys and the scruffs. the amount of times (last week actually) i hear ' This guy had all his rods out with buzz bars and had caught nothing in 2 days and up popped this guy with his garden stool old split cane and a bag of maggots caught a 20lb common and then packed up after an hour and went off home' while The Mr OCD ( sorry i made that expression up up) watched on.

However you never hear about the other way round so i think snobbery and also jelousy a bit in there . I remember when pike fishing on an OCD set up and an old guy with his basket seat and cane rod walked by and said 'Can you pick up channel 4 on that' (showing my age here..LOL) as he walked by in which i replied keep your dirty knickers in your laundry basket away from me it makes my boilies smell bad' . It was OK for him to laugh at his comment but not me about his dirty knickers and wick basket comment ( in fact he had patches phone come to think of it..lol)

The thing is you OCD guys is you bivvy all tidy at all times and correct with boots firmly in line polished and upright. LOL

I am a bit of both i think although i seem to be starting to buy 2 or 3 of bits of tackle the same as i build up again... :rolleyes:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Having everything looking neat and tidy is pleasing to the eyes, but having the end tackle correct is the most important thing. I am always carring too much gear around and it can be a Pain. According to the two gentlemen from Delaware, I need 30 minutes to set-up and another to pack-up. I will take that as I like being able to go directly to the items I am looking for and not be searching through everything. Placing each rod in it's carrier sleeve takes time, but I know they are protected. You invest in your equipment and should take care of it. The idea that having the rods, reels, alarms and your hangers/swinger all aligned is nice, but not a requirement to catch fish. It just make passers by take an intrest. The other alglers around you will make comments as well, but the talk is going to be there if you do or don't. Tackle Tart is a name that doesn't fit me, but I do Love our Sport and having others want to know what each piece of equipment is for makes it more enjoyable!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

Hoppy,

Like Scott Osmond?

Phone

Phone,

Like Scott I am not sure, but I have practiced this for many years and it has been more of a benifit than a henderance. I am not one of those guys that go down the shoreline and look to see what someone else is fishing with. I do not need to keep up with the Jones's as they say. I will compliment a fellow angler on the looks of their gear and the quality of a fish. I tell others that I didn't come by my set-up overnight and it is what I feel is the best that I could afford at the time. How it looks and is presented on the shoreline is a matter of opinion. By the way Phone, why did you or have you completely moved away from the CAG???? PM me if it is a touchey subject!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

HOPPY

Hoppy,

Scott is my "hero" angler of the East coast. Unlike most of the Euro guys who, like you, prefer neatness Scott is sort of an icon of the American slob carp fisherman. Ohh, and he is one of the few guys that can stay with the best of the Euros.

As for CAG. It was my choice. I refused to continuiously harp on the forum and organization direction becoming more and more "closed". I hope it does not become America's "secret carp society" of 30 sanctimonious Euro "experts" (of which I confess to having been one) and a few wannabes or even fewer guys who genuinely wish to add carp to the vast array of sporting fish to be caught in North America. Anyway, nothing worse than a whiny old guy. I love CAG guys and I left to avoid making a nuisance of myself. You know, CAG is a thin thread of hope to introduce carp to the masses in America. Instead they want to introduce the UK and Europe to America? All the while UK/Europe guys are re-discovering corn on a hook.

Phone

its nice to look good when you go fishing

but i go fishing to try to catch fish and having the right tackle to try to catch the fish that i want is much better then it all just looking good

people should piut as much work in to doing the fishing as they do in to looking like they are good anglers

its better to be a good angler then just to look like a good angler

the ones who dont all ways look like they are the best with the all the best gear are often the ones that catch alll the best fish

Azree

Let us see rather that like Janus—or better, like Yama, the Brahmin god of death—religion has two faces, one very friendly, one very gloomy...” Arthur Schopenhaur