guest speaker,

tony jolley

I give numerous talks on Photography to various clubs and societies. I charge out my travelling at 50p per mile plus expenses such as overnight accomodation, but no fee. Us photographers have an Alliance and we don't charge a fee to clubs that are members of that Alliance. However, if I go to a non-member club, WI for example, I charge either £1.00 per head or £30.00, whichever is the greater, plus travelling etc. I would think that is quite reasonable for an angling club as well. I know that when I asked Eddie Turner to come to my local pike club that he didn't even charge for fuel! But then he's a much nicer fellow than I am!! The risk is that if the Lecturer doesn't make a charge then it might just be because he knows he isn't worth a great deal!!

I suppose it depends how 'famous' the person doing the speech is. You would not expect, for example Bill Oddie to do a talk on birds for £25 but having said that you would not expect Fred Smith (ie no one famous) to charge £500. It also depends on what type of talk to what kind of group. I know a lot of my local radio presenters will do a talk for local groups for free.

Maybe charge £2 admission and £1 out of each person goes to the speaker

I'm afraid I've no idea how much others charge. However, in the days when I did talks I made no charge other than my expenses. During the time I was in the tackle trade I didn't even charge expenses as I combined the talk with demonstrating my range of products.

Bear in mind though that expenses can add up to quite a bit if the speaker comes from a long way away. First of all there's travel, then food, and possibly accomodation if an overnight stay is needed. It might therefore be worth getting one of the audience to put the speaker up, which happened a number of times with me.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

likewise, i have done a few talks and all i ever charge is for expenses, usually only petrol. the only time i have ever had cause to stay over night "mad mick" bowen put me up (solihull) and even had a days barbel fishing to boot.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Just to add to my last post about getting someone to put the speaker up. Bear in mind he'll be knackered after the talk (the evenings often don't finish until after 11pm by the time all the questions are finished) and possibly a long journey. Let him get to bed fairly quickly and talk to him in the morning when he's fresh.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Martin James - is a good night to listen to . . s'pose his only failing is his Lancastrian upbringing :o ) . . I have been to several shows by Martin which are excellent - especially if you can get him on fly fishing for pike . . or his beloved chub on the bread .

he asked last time for donations to the MS foundation . . . . and he can go the full duration and more . .

I don't have a number for him . . but he has his own sie . .

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !