the man who wants every zander dead

mark barrett

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a couple of issues here that need to be seperated. Like probably all PAC members, I was horrified to read of the actions of someone who not long ago worked for a business whose profit comes from anglers.However, and this is what really hacks me off, I had to read the article 3 times before I finally realised the AT had no editorial comment to make whatsoever about the situation.How can that be be ? AT are probably the premier (ie best selling) angling publication in the UK. To not come out vehemently against their former employee is unbelievable. I for one decided there and then to stop buying it, and if the angling bodies mounted a campaign, PAC, SAA etc, to stop their members buying the paper it would be just what they deserved.

Moving on, EA is a public body who probably have a policy, criteria, of deciding what prosecutions are in the public interest and what are not.Their lawyers will decide and it may well be that this instance does not fit their model ? Mob rule (ie public outcry)should not dictate policy. If it did, the outpourings of tabloids would lead to some horrendous situations.

Finally, and linked to the last point, with all the knowledge of angling that this bloke has, and to do what he did, he must be ill ? He may need treatment, but not I suspect, behind bars ?

if the facts of the story were all that were put in the angling times i would agree with you but they ar not and i dont, he should be proscuted.

and peter the AT did condemm him in the editorial content.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

The main letter in tonight's Peterborough Evening Telegraph was written by someone who thinks Peter Collins should have a medal - not a threat of prosecution. He goes on to say:

"I doubt if any action will be taken against Peter, but if so, anglers will raise such a protest the river authority will wish it had never heard of him"

Mmmmm.

[ 28. February 2004, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I think that there will be two very distinct opinions when he is prosecuted. Either way the EA will be damned if they do, and damned if they don't. Perhaps someone in the Peterborough area will write to the Telegraph and set the story to rights. It isn't just a zander issue. It is a right and wrong issue, a precedent issue and an anti poaching/fish killing issue. Above all it is a get off your EA *rse and do the job that you are paid to do issue.

[ 28. February 2004, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

peter, ken wade the angling corespondent from that paper is running a story on the issue this week, and asked me for a quote, now the general tone is not as condemnatory as i would like i have seen the copy and my quote most certainly is!

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk