the man who wants every zander dead

mark barrett

I think the suggestion of precedent is a very real concern here. The EA have stated, via Angling Times, that they don't normally prosecute pensioners. Well, I don't intend to break any byelaws but if I do then that would form part of my defence, and I really don't think the EA would have an easy answer.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Waller:

Well Corydoras, that's balanced things up a bit!! As a matter of interest, what's your favorite species? As if I can't guess        !

The species I most enjoy fishing for these days is definately mullet, grey, of the thin lipped variety, previous to that I was a brown trout man (never did like rainbows, they taste like the smell of Tetramin), but the Corydoras catfish from Corydoras acrensis to Corydoras zygatus are the cutest fish of all!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

trent.barbeler:

Dear Cory,

You said quote;

"Zander are an invasive alien species,"

Prove they are invasive.

I am not sure if little old me all on my own can prove that Zander are invasive, but the EA certainly considers them so. See here.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Does anyone know for certain of a river or lake that has been seriously damaged by Zander (Sander lucioperca)?

Since they fill a niche sorta between pike and perch, I'd say a good indication of 'seriously damaged' would be a water where there were originally good populations of those fish and after the appearance of Zander, the pike or perch populations (or both) either declined or began to look very underweight.

And is there any solid information on where they were introduced from? Germany, Switzerland, UK, and, questionably, the US are the only places fishbase.org lists as having them. Their appearance is so similar to the walleye (Sander vitreus) which is common in North America so I woudn't be surprised if the US Zander listing wasn't the result of a mis-identification.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well judging by the responses so far, mine included, the EA now have a very busy Mike Atkinson. I hope that he reaches the right decision and that we can all get back to working together, (we were trying to work together were'nt we?)

Incidentally I also emailed the Martin Salter, no reply as yet, it will be interesting to see what he has to say, and also the ACA, who make rather a succesful habit of prosecuting people who transgress, and IMHO Mr.Collins was a one-man walking fish-kill incident, no better than a farmer who tips slurry in a watercourse, or shady lorry driver carrying dodgy chemicals.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Like you others I have had my standard EA reply, but nothing from Martin Salter yet. Since we were told that an Anglers Mail photographer was involved with the events I was surprised that AN has not commented. Angling Times had to, condemned if they do, condemned if they didn't.

corydoras, you of course have the rigt to your own point of view but are you seriously suggesting that we should get rid of:

Carp

Rainbow trout

Catfish

Orfe

as welll as of course zander?

Zander are not invasive and the only reason that the EA post such drivel is because they do not want them stocked into other waters, particularly game rivers. iagree now that the spread should stop and that illegal stockings should be condemed outright but this guy was wrong, and although he may have been targetting the zander, he did catch Pike, and they ended up i the same place, and it was not his freezer. i wonder if you have any personal experience of zander waters are are you just toeing the antiquated line that all zeds are bad.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

KEEPING UP THE PRESSURE

ernest.pearce@environment-agency.gov.uk>

Subject: Your ref: CCC/2004/

Date: 25 February 2004 23:52

Dear Sir,

I thank you for your early reply, headed "COMPLAINT REGARDING ZANDER".

I realise that this is a pro-former letter, but I would like to take issue on the fact that you refer to Zander only. I am sure that you must realise that this method of fishing is absolutely non-selective, and that other fish than Zander would be likely to take the hooked bait, with the possibility of an agonizing death as it tries to free it's self from the tethered line.

I also take issue on the question of whether " I believe Peter Collins should be prosecuted by the Environment Agency for his admitted illegal fishing activities". I put it to you that it is not a question of whether I believe he should be or not be prosecuted. The law has been broken, a law that is within the E.A.s remit to uphold. There have been many cases in the resent past where an unlicenced person using rod and line, has been taken to Court. Were you not to prosecute in this case could be seen as using double standards in that there would be no financial gain for the Agency. This matter is now being debated throughout the angling population, and is causing some concern as to the intransigence and integrity of an Agency of the British Government.

Your faithfully,