the man who wants every zander dead

mark barrett

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

petejones:

There are a couple of issues here that need to be seperated. Like probably all PAC members, I was horrified to read of the actions of someone who not long ago worked for a business whose profit comes from anglers.However, and this is what really hacks me off, I had to read the article 3 times before I finally realised the AT had no editorial comment to make whatsoever about the situation.How can that be be ? AT are probably the premier (ie best selling) angling publication in the UK. To not come out vehemently against their former employee is unbelievable.  

Totally agree, the AT almost presented him in a favourable light, stating his career etc. I think they would have reported the incident quite differently had it been an ordinary Joe.

Also, should not the EA act upon the crime ?

does it matter that the "criminal" is a pensioner ? Old enough to know right from wrong I say, would they have taken the same stance with an ordinary ( 30 year old ) Joe ?

[ 02. March 2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: darrell.cook ]

I have just visited the thread on the Total Fishing forum and to be honest, I didn't think there were any particularly obnoxious posts. One or two borderline ones admittedly but I think there is mainly a mixture of forceful disagreement with a bit of irony tossed in for good measure. I didn't see anything worse than on most carp forums.

There seems to be a point in all this that everybody seems to have missed so far (I think).

If the pike angler is being prosecuted for having his rods more than ten metres apart, then Peter Collins must also be guilty of leaving his unattended, illegal, fixed lines far more than ten metres apart? Surely, if the EA refuse to prosecute Peter Collins for this offence, they can't possibly prosecute the pike angler?

I hear there is more to this case than meets the eye, so it will be intriguing to see the outcome.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Roy Marlow's comments in today's AT about Peter Collins' actions were a disgrace. He basically suggests that if the law doesn't suit commercial fishery owners' interests, then they should take the law into their own hands.

I do hope that the EA keep a close watch on Mr Marlow.

Incidentally, since we are talking about fishery laws and prosecutions here, then obviously the piker who fished with his rods too far apart should also be prosecuted. Whether we agree with it or not, that's the law.

Oh yes, and the same applies to cormorants. If they are a protected bird, then nobody should be seeking to illegally shoot them.

Cos if we don't follow the law, we get anarchy. And then the Peter Collinses of this world can hardly be criticised for breaking it to suit their own ends, can they?

Fenboy

You mention anachy Fenboy. That is a very worrying word. I sit, for better or worse, on the Broads Angling Strategy Group which advises The Broads National Park on, would you believe, angling matters. People like Tom Bolton, Dave Batten, Martin Page and Steve Harper also sit on the committee, so why I was invited to join heaven only knows. Anyway, before I digressed, which I often do, I was going to make a point re anachy. The Broads Authority rep brings us reams of complaints about angling from the general public re anachy and anti social behaviour. Having to sit there and listen to it all is really quite embarrasing. Nearly always concerns rowdy behaviour and litter from bream anglers who fish at night, and total anachy by some pike anglers re the navigation laws during the daytime. As anglers we do have to bring this under control. The only good thing that can be said about the Collins affair is that it has brought law breaking by anglers into the general arena. Now its out in the open the EA must be seen to act.

Although the general concensus is that we should not attack AT on this I have to say that I agree entirely with Darrell's latest comments on this matter.

[ 02. March 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

It's a bit strong criticising even the rowdiest bream anglers on the Broads considering the bedlam that goes on in general in the summer months. Or do more genteel holidaymakers descend these days?

Anglers get knocked more than they deserved (sometimes). But if it wasn't for angling pressure, I suspect the Broads would have become polluted beyond repair years ago.

Keep up the good work.

Fenboy

if the [edited by John S] that drive (?) boats round here are anyting to go by i can imagine that half of them are complaining about abuse they got for:

going too fast

gong to clos to the bank

weaving all over the place

having little control over the bloody things

please dont get me started on boaters!!!!!!

[sorry Mark, youngsters read these forums sometimes, I couldn't let that word stand :( ]

[ 02. March 2004, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk