the man who wants every zander dead

mark barrett

Whilst I totally disagree with this illegal activity and will be writing to the EA, etc, two people at least have used an argument of the fish suffering in their otherwise excellent letters.

I thought we had established that fish do not feel pain - we can't have it both ways when it suits us can we? I think we need to concentrate on the law and environmental aspects of this case and not inadvertently re-open the pain debate.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good point, i hadnt thought of that one

further to the issue and for the SAA knockers, the SAA were informed of this via an e mail from me and they have started to go into action. i was asked to put this on as means of an update on their progress

The SAA has discussed the issues this incident raises with the Environment

Agency at a national level and Agency enquiries are proceeding. The legitimate

concerns of anglers for the upholding of the law have been expressed and SAA

hopes that action will be taken against any individual using illegal methods to

fish. The Agency have not said that they will not prosecute."

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

mark barrett:

corydoras, you of course have the rigt to your own point of view but are you seriously suggesting that we should get rid of:

Carp

Rainbow trout

Catfish

Orfe

as welll as of course zander?

Zander are not invasive and the only reason that the EA post such drivel is because they do not want them stocked into other waters, particularly game rivers.  iagree now that the spread should stop and that illegal stockings should be condemed outright but this guy was wrong, and although he may have been targetting the zander, he did catch Pike, and they ended up i the same place, and it was not his freezer. i wonder if you have any personal experience of zander waters are are you just toeing the antiquated line that all zeds are bad.

Carp : Well since they have been around for 500 years or so it is probably a bit late for us to even try to eradicate them, so no not carp.

Likewise the rainbow trout, but yes IMHO the law here should prohibit the release or return of wels, orphe and zander.

Once an alien species is indroduced into an ecosphere the long term results of that release can be difficult to predict. Often a species that seems to have a benign or neutral affect on introduction to a non-native ecology can have disastrous long term effects, for example the cane toad in Australia, the coypu on the Norfolk Broads.

[ 26. February 2004, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Does anyone know how the antis are reacting to this unfortunate state of affairs?

I bet they are rubbing their hands with glee to see the EA openly unsupportive of their own rules, and the ensuing bad press which is likely.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Lid:

Whilst I totally disagree with this illegal activity and will be writing to the EA, etc, two people at least have used an argument of the fish suffering in their otherwise excellent letters.

I thought we had established that fish do not feel pain - we can't have it both ways when it suits us can we? I think we need to concentrate on the law and environmental aspects of this case and not inadvertently re-open the pain debate.

Lid

could you be referring to this?

"with the possibility of an agonizing death as it tries to free it's self from the tethered line."

If you read it carefully you will See that the use of the word "possibility" negates a statement of fact, pain, death or otherwise.

Good point though pity it wasn't made sooner though.

[ 26. February 2004, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

As carp have been around for 500 years they should stay but zander which have beenin this country for over 100 and in the rivers for 40 shouldnt.

corydoras you are certainly talking out of your corydorarse.

have you ever fished the fens?

do you know what the prey to predator balance is like here?

if your answer is no then i suggest that you stick to topics of which you have soome knowledge.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Any species that has been established (as in a breeding population) and that has been on UK soil for 107 years, 72 days, 6 hours, 14 minutes should be considered naturalized (as opposed to native or alien).

Alien species should be wiped out even if that requires sterilizing every place they can be found or are thought to exist.

While you are at it, also decimate (in the original Roman usage of 'kill every tenth') all other (native/naturalized) predator populations. This measure will need to be repeated periodically.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President