Surface Lures and Weedless Lures

AddictedToScopex

Hi all,

I am looking for some surface lures for pike but as usual there are so many and I simply cannot buy them all, as much as I would love to. Can you guys share your favourites so that I can have a look at specific lures rather than wade through countless patterns on the net. I am looking for a surface spinner type lure but plugs are just as much of an option too.

As well as this I would like some weedless lures that would be suitable for a weedy canal. A lot of the lures that I have dive to the correct depth but then snag up a load of weed and become useless for 3 quarters of the retrieve.

Cheers

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Another option could be to use the rubber shads but without jig heads. They're light and fairly bouyant (although you'd probably have to keep the rod high) and have a great action on the surface. You could fish them weedless with a big single like so:

image_12727595404.jpg

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Another option could be to use the rubber shads but without jig heads. They're light and fairly bouyant (although you'd probably have to keep the rod high) and have a great action on the surface. You could fish them weedless with a big single like so:

image_12727595404.jpg

Interesting idea. Something I hadnt thought of. I would have to check which if any of my shads etc would float enough to be able to give it a go. Not keen on the idea of having to mess about keeping it afloat if it isnt buoyant enough though. It is a consideration at least.

Interesting idea. Something I hadnt thought of. I would have to check which if any of my shads etc would float enough to be able to give it a go. Not keen on the idea of having to mess about keeping it afloat if it isnt buoyant enough though. It is a consideration at least.

Couldn't you add inserts of more buoyant material, like foam into soft lures to help them float if they are a little heavy. just a thought.

regards

Rob

You can inject air into any of the shads to make them float. The needle/syringe used for insulin is ideal because the needle is so small (26 or 28 ga usually) that it doesn't damage the shad at all. There are also some shads made to float.

The same tactic will work if you want to fish a shad a little off the bottom if you add a weight to the line with a stop so it never gets closer to the shad than you want. 1-2 feet gets the fish hiding on the bottom and long enough for mid-water will get others.

A note on those "snag guards" for treble hooks - pretty good for rocks and sticks but worthless in weed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You can inject air into any of the shads to make them float. The needle/syringe used for insulin is ideal because the needle is so small (26 or 28 ga usually) that it doesn't damage the shad at all. There are also some shads made to float.

The same tactic will work if you want to fish a shad a little off the bottom if you add a weight to the line with a stop so it never gets closer to the shad than you want. 1-2 feet gets the fish hiding on the bottom and long enough for mid-water will get others.

A note on those "snag guards" for treble hooks - pretty good for rocks and sticks but worthless in weed.

Thanks guys. I dont think I would have the confidence to use those snag guards. They look like they would shield the hooks a little too much. Great suggestion newt and one that has given me an idea with the drop shotting. I think a little air in the shad when dropshotting would give a very natural presentation. Fish maintain their position in the water using their swim bladder and if you could make your shad maintain a vertical position it would look far more natural if it were to change depth more slowly and smoothly rather than having it rising and falling in the water in a jerky motion as it would when you raised and lowered the tip. I reckon it would look far more realistic if it kind of hovered and you just twitched it. I will try that next time out with the dropshotting gear for the perch.

Addi,

Rapala original floating - #11 and #18 – any color

Phone

Thanks phone. I do like to use floating plugs wherever possible. I would rather have it floating and then wind in to make it sink rather than have to wind in to keep it off the bottom.