One Bait, Three Fish but none landed

Dales

My fun and games continue on the river Lea, my bait catching skills still suck big time :D and when ever I do hook one I loose it to a Perch or or small Jack while trying to land them.

So for a bit of fun on Saturday I decided to do some speed fishing and stock up on Minnows to fish at dusk and see if I could nab a specimen Perch and so fished a single maggot on 1.5lb hook length and size 20. It was a fish a chuck, I lost a few to small Perch and even landed a few Perch. After about half an hour I had enough baits and was reeling in what I expected to be my last Minnow when the line went heavy, here we go again I thought another mini Pike or Perch has grabbed my bait but when I saw the fish it was a Zander which put a smile on my face. My first ever river Lea Zander and I was not going to loose it so decided to net it. I let the clutch off and picked up a pan net and just before I went to net it the villan of the piece stepped in and robbed me of my first Lea Zander :angry:

I should point out that the Zander looked a good 20 to 25cm long. Before I could get the net in the water it was grabbed by a good sized Perch, that attacked it from behind and swallowed half of it and had clamped down and was shacking its head violently from side to side. It snapped my hook length but stayed in vision for around 10/15 seconds and seemed to be struggling with swallowing the Zander and then it swam away still shaking its head with the head end of the Zander still sticking out of its mouth.

It's a real fish eat fish world under the surface of the water :D

I think next week end I will be giving the Perch a serious go.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dales Zander is the new perch livebait chap,get on it ;):rolleyes:

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Fascinating! Dales, what sort of length was the perch?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Fascinating! Dales, what sort of length was the perch?

Not sure of the actual length but had the look of the length of a high 2lb to 3lb Perch if that makes sense. But it looked very thick, the Perch in this part of the Lea tend to be very stocky with bright red fins. The stretch is supposed to have done a number of 4lb fish just before Christmas and one witnessed by a bailif. A lot of the celeb anglers fish the area but they tend to be after the Chub.

The river runs through a private syndicate run by one of the Nash boys and the only anglers targeting the river tend to use either boilies or bread for the Carp and Chub and the Perch go almost unfished for. On another note a few guys on one of the syndicate lakes have been testing the bug zigs and rate them very highly :thumbs:

Not sure how to go about fishing for the big Perch as small lives will quickly be taken by 1lb to 1 1/2lb Perch or small Jacks, I have seen a few big Perch in this spot before inspect live Roach I have put out for Pike and not take the bait I think put off by the wire trace. I will be bringing some lobs with me next week but trying to keep a bait in the water long enough for a big one to find it may be hard. I also will try fishing a dead bait close to the area I suspect the big Perch hold out in.

I was thinking of giving up my ticket at the end of the season but have changed my mind as I am finding this water very interesting all of a sudden. I have also had a few 1lb Perch on sprat dead baits over the last few weeks and on Saturday I had one on a half a small Sardine. For an area that holds so many Perch over 12oz they never seem to take maggots, I suspect most of the Perch are all out fish eaters. The water has plenty of very small fish around 1" to 2" Gudgeon, Minnows and Chublets and its not unusual to see the Perch holding position amongst them and not feeding but if a Roach or another Perch over 2" turns up they start to feed and chase them.

I think this might be a chance for me to give dead baits a proper go for Perch. It's certainly given me plenty to think about it and could be an interesting challenge.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Dales Zander is the new perch livebait chap,get on it ;):rolleyes:

Maybe Newt or Phone can recommend a Walleye pattern lure :D

But at least I now know that Zander are present maybe not the size I am after but it's enough to suggest that it might be worth a giving night fishing a go before the end of the season. It might make an interesting week end session. Target the Perch dawn and dusk, Pike during the day and Zander at night.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

A question guys?

What is the biggest sized Perch you could use as a bait for a Perch around 3lb. Could a Perch of around 3lb eat a biggish Perch. Any ideas? super fresh Perch dead baits might be much easier to come by then Roach.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Dales,

Not a walleye guy per se sp I searched the internet for you.

Looks like the HANDS DOWN choice in the US for big perch is a baby otter pattern. (We don't have perch). I didn't see any lures that look like baby walleye??

How about this - - - try making one. Take a large (really large) crank bait lure (of your choice); take the hooks off and tape up the lip; spray paint black or grey; put a few stripes and a couple eyes back on (use the cool stick-on type eyes. They have them that look like walleye eyes at Cabela's). Do ever see any big sea lures for a pittance (sp)? All you need is the basic shape to begin with. Fish arn't finniky art critics on redoos.

OR - those thingys Androo likes - the soft jigging lure jobbies with the flat tail. Get a couple REALLY big ones; add stripes and tip the front hook with salted minnows.

At coffee, you can't go wrong with advice from coffee, if you slow jig you'll catch perch (our perch) and walleye. If you jerk jig or fast jig you will get pike jacks (Northern Pike).

Phone

Edited by Phone