Tench

maxaldo

What's the best way to single out tench? i.e, baits, rig, tactics e.t.c

What specific situation are you in? Canal, clay pit, gravel pit, estate lake, etc; what other species are there, and how heavily stocked is it? There's no one way to catch a tench, it will depend on the water and the conditions.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats very unusual to catch them at that size.I presume they must grow a lot more slowly north of the border? Whats the Jock record anyone know?

We used to fish a water near Reading (Burford or Burfield match pits I think) where they used to hold well known matches like the Embassy Final and the club I was in at the time (Barnet AC) used to have regular coach outings to: and the match weights were always made up from huge nets of small Tench averaging 1lb and under. Plus the best place to fish was right under your keepnet and close in. whether or not it is still like this I don't know. I remember winning a 'pairs match' there with almost 50lb of stunted tench between us all caught on 'caster'.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

don't know about finding them , but i have been out after them using an experimental bait (ate most of it myself)

works very well got 8 in one and half hours all under 1 lb ,however i don't give a sh*t because my experimental bait works

got the idea from my eight year old daughter . :rolleyes:

Butterkist popcorn soaked in Asda's own brown sauce . this is like using a magnet , :lol:

no takes from perch /roach , don't know about carp as there ain't any that i know of in the union canal.. :rolleyes:

sounds good mate, at least someone's not trying to be a ****ing comedian on here :P

What specific situation are you in? Canal, clay pit, gravel pit, estate lake, etc; what other species are there, and how heavily stocked is it? There's no one way to catch a tench, it will depend on the water and the conditions.

o.k, well its 3 small pools, i have found the best one for my liking. It's quite well stocked with small roach, decent sized rudd and some clonking ide, ther are a few mirrors but they are pretty illusive nowadays and quite a few tench. went yesterday actaully and the tench were nowhere in sight, cudn't get them feeding nevermind catch the buggers :lol: , the problem though is that once you've put ur bed of bait down such as pellet and corn and u do see them feeding, its only a matter of time before the roach start taking over and swarming ur bait.. Also, it's not long befire the tench have packed up and left after begginning to feed, am i over feeding the swim? i try to not go overboard but it seems the feeding sessions are only short. Although i had a clonking fish for the small place the other day but it shot off under the trees to my right and snapped the hooklink, never even got to see what or how big it was :(

Wish someone could tell me :) Been trying for a BIG one for a few weeks now. All the usual methods failing, but a few of the carpers have had some whoppers (up to 12lb 10oz on 22mm boilies.)

I was chatting to a carper the other week. I was fishing one of the quieter pits for tench. He told me that he was trying that one because he was being pestered by tench on his usual water; three over 9lb in a session, I think he said. I should be so lucky to be pestered by 9lb tench!

I was chatting to a carper the other week. I was fishing one of the quieter pits for tench. He told me that he was trying that one because he was being pestered by tench on his usual water; three over 9lb in a session, I think he said. I should be so lucky to be pestered by 9lb tench!

carpers do my head in sometimes with crap like that

sounds good mate, at least someone's not trying to be a ****ing comedian on here :P

So I pressume that despite both myself and others pointing out I wasnt taking the St Michael you dont want me to expand on my origonal post.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

We used to fish a water near Reading (Burford or Burfield match pits I think) where they used to hold well known matches like the Embassy Final and the club I was in at the time (Barnet AC) used to have regular coach outings to: and the match weights were always made up from huge nets of small Tench averaging 1lb and under. Plus the best place to fish was right under your keepnet and close in. whether or not it is still like this I don't know. I remember winning a 'pairs match' there with almost 50lb of stunted tench all caught on 'caster'.

Small tench are very rarely caught due to the fact that they spend their early years living/feeding in heavy weed. They dont emerge from this untill they reach sexual maturity.This is an age governed thing rather than size.However it is a good indication to the potential size they will go to/richness of water/growth rates etc in any given water as the bigger they are when they emerge the bigger they might get/richer the water/faster the growth rate.

We were recently discussing this as one big tench venue I fish very rarely produces tench (ie anglers catching them) under 4lb. About 1.5lb-2 is the normal weight of a tench when it reachs sexual maturity.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

So I pressume that despite both myself and others pointing out I wasnt taking the St Michael you dont want me to expand on my origonal post.

But Budgie, don't you know that tench are in every swim? You just have to chuck the right bait in to tempt them. If you don't get it right first off, you just keep chucking different baits in until you find the one they want.

I'm surprised an angler of your experience didn't know that! :o

John.

P.S. Just for those that don't know the difference. This post is taking the p*ss, Budgies first one wasn't.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thats very unusual to catch them at that size.I presume they must grow a lot more slowly north of the border? Whats the Jock record anyone know?

Tinca tinca 10lb 0oz 4.540 kg Castle Loch, Lochmaben P. Crookhall 2003

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif