Confused on lure/spinning striking

fruitloopy

Now that you've established that pike are present have yourself a bit of weedless fun. Beef up the tackle just enough to get fish through the weed and either try a Heddon Moss Boss on the surface or either a spinnerbait or an unweighted soft plastic rigged weedlessly subsurface to try to conect with the pike more concistently.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Now that you've established that pike are present have yourself a bit of weedless fun. Beef up the tackle just enough to get fish through the weed and either try a Heddon Moss Boss on the surface or either a spinnerbait or an unweighted soft plastic rigged weedlessly subsurface to try to conect with the pike more concistently.

Those Heddon Moss Boss things look good and I have just picked up a pack of three (ooeer!) from an ebay seller for £12.99, not bad as they're about £6 each.

If your talking about soft plastic do you mean any of these?

jelly.jpg

I'm not sure what hooks these things need but this seller on ebay has these which look like they do the job:

5413_1.JPG

I assume I just thread these things up the hook?

Several members have posted that fish hook themselves when lure fishing. Yes, they often do so. But then often they don't!

In fact, I remember an underwater US film that showed that an awful lot of takes go completely unnoticed by anglers, even experienced ones, in this case tournament pros. These takes of course didn't get struck at, but the fish rarely hooked themselves.

Granted perch often bite at the tail of their prey to slow it down so that they can catch it. I also agree that striking too hard can rip the hooks out of perch.

However, I wouldn't have caught a lot of the fish I have on lures if I relied on them hooking themselves.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Interesting Steve

I know you can often feel the 'nibbling' from Perch following and biting at a lure...I'm another person who relies on the fish hooking itself.

Went out last night and had some unmissable takes though on surface poppers in around 10/15ft of water...big splashes breaking the silence. Unfortuanately the pike were missing the lure in a big way!

I've seen something about perch nipping and prey fishes tails, and even biting them off to immobilise the prey. Then they can take them at their leisure. This was part of the reasons for putting red wool or something red on the treble.

Although there is scientific evidence to suggest that perch have excellent vision and see red particularly well, I cannot say for certain that red is any more productive than any other colour. I've certainly caught on lures with red fluff, red marabou, red tinsel and even John Roberts baitsavers on the end treble but can I say that it was red that made the difference?

I may have done so before but now I'm not sure that I can. Now I prefer to take a wide selection of colours and I'll very often give each colour as little as 5-6 casts before I change. If the colour is right, perch usually let you know fairly quickly.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

can I say that it was red that made the difference?

I may have done so before but now I'm not sure that I can.

I think the "drag" of the water on the wool is very important in maintaining the rear hooks in the right orientation.

I know I found Toby lures much more effective after putting wool on the hooks (that's salmon, pike, bass, pollack and saithe I am talking about).

"Wool" definitely beats "no wool" but whether red wool is better than other wools is difficult to say.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I don't know about UK perch but they are similar to black bass in many ways and from what I've read and observed, actively feeding fish prefer lures with blues and greens while avoiding golds and yellows. Usually.

I also remember watching that underwater video of black bass sucking in a lure with a flare of the gills and expelling it without the angler ever noticing anything. I tried finding it but no luck.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I think the "drag" of the water on the wool is very important in maintaining the rear hooks in the right orientation.

That's a point. I've given the hook orientation thing some thought before. Do you think some lures would benefit from a bit of heat shrink tubing over the split-ring/hook-shank to keep the end treble 'rightly orientated'....hmmm?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...