"The Gemina" fishing reel - information needed

Newt

I bought a reel on eBay - bad photo, worse description, clueless (or really smart) seller, and no way to tell what it really was. Sometimes when I do this I get a gem and make a bunch of money; other times I get junk and have to bin it. This time I got what looks to be a decent reel but beyond that I'm pretty well stuck.

It looks like a fly reel - sort of - but a cork arbor gives so little space for line (less than ½ inch) that I'm pretty sure its not. Maybe. Its somewhere between well built and overbuilt.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

note: The section circled in red says Made in England

gemina-2.jpggemina-1.jpg

gemina-3.jpggemina-4.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I bought a reel on eBay - bad photo, worse description, clueless (or really smart) seller, and no way to tell what it really was. Sometimes when I do this I get a gem and make a bunch of money; other times I get junk and have to bin it. This time I got what looks to be a decent reel but beyond that I'm pretty well stuck.

It looks like a fly reel - sort of - but a cork arbor gives so little space for line (less than ½ inch) that I'm pretty sure its not. Maybe. Its somewhere between well built and overbuilt.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

note: The section circled in red says Made in England

gemina-2.jpggemina-1.jpg

gemina-3.jpggemina-4.jpg

Not a lot to tell really Newt, in this case: plenty of these around, and usually available quite cheaply on ebay UK. Useable enough I guess, but definitely not a refined trotting reel :-)

its one of them reels (makers) that seem too be well built and plenty around but not much more is known about them .theres at least three reels ,i think are by the same mysterious maker

the gemina is the standard reel

the regina ,looks the same as the gemina but has no handles on the front but a cranking handle on the back

the maxima this is a brute of a reel a 5" reel with deep linelay.

i have a feeling all three where originally sea fishing reels from peer to boat fishing .as they're quite robust reels .and look as if they date from 60's/70's

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

its one of them reels (makers) that seem too be well built and plenty around but not much more is known about them .theres at least three reels ,i think are by the same mysterious maker
Harrington's of London??

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Thanks for that info. I've certainly not seen anything remotely like them over here.

What reasonable use can be made of them? The line guard, if that's what it is, makes it difficult to thumb/finger control the spool even if the spool was side enough to easily get a finger into and I can't even tell if it should be mounted under the rod ah la fly reel or on top like a multiplier.

I did see one on eBay just now advertised as a pin. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I THINK they go under, like a fly reel Newt, but I'm not sure.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Thanks for that info. I've certainly not seen anything remotely like them over here.

What reasonable use can be made of them? The line guard, if that's what it is, makes it difficult to thumb/finger control the spool even if the spool was side enough to easily get a finger into and I can't even tell if it should be mounted under the rod ah la fly reel or on top like a multiplier.

I did see one on eBay just now advertised as a pin. :D :D

I hate to say this Newt, but you've just crossed the line, you are now....officially (albeit in the cheaper end of the bracket) ...a 'pinhead!

Your life is now officially incomplete and, for the rest of it you will be addicted to buying 'pins (yes, they go under the rod) :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Newt,

Don't believe Worms. He's just trying to make you feel bad. There are medications.

Is there a patent number? You can look it up by using Google Scholar. "patent [then the number]" If there is no patent number Worms may be right - go to the pharmacy.

Phone

I sorta figured it wasn't a centerpin reel since the spool will only only make about two revolutions if you spin it really, really hard. I think with a good cleaning and some proper oiling it might make as many as 3-4 revolutions but not more. There is also the switch/slide thingy on the back to turn the clicker on and off that gave an additional clue.