Barbour Jackets - who owns one?

Elton

I just read this article about Barbour jackets - http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-featur...ur-jackets.html

Do many anglers still own them? It's great to see a UK company doing so well. There can't be that many items left to buy that are produced over here!

If you do own one, it seems that you are now deemed 'cool' and can hang out with the likes of Fearne Cotton :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read this article about Barbour jackets - http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-featur...ur-jackets.html

Do many anglers still own them? It's great to see a UK company doing so well. There can't be that many items left to buy that are produced over here!

If you do own one, it seems that you are now deemed 'cool' and can hang out with the likes of Fearne Cotton :)

They smell weird though, don't you think? The jackets that is, not the occupants.

Rob.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

The fashion for waxed jackets comes around (like most fashions) every decade or so. What usually happens is they become too popular, the market gets flooded with cheap imitations from China, every other person has one, and the fashionable types decide they're too common and move on to something else.

I'm guessing the main market for them these days (when they're not enjoying a "fashionable" period) is amongst "traditional anglers" (those using split cane rods, centre pin reels, etc). Most farmers seem to prefer outerwear that's more efficient, cheaper and less high-maintenance.

I had a Barbour once - it was a pain to re-wax, wasn't in any way breathable, smelt "interesting", stained my car seats, and wasn't anywhere near as hard-wearing as I'd hoped.

Apparently the quality isn't as good as it used to be.

:rolleyes:

Having experienced Driza-Bone coats that have been worn by Australian outdoorsmen when I was in Oz last year, I'd say Barbours are positively fragrant! :D

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

I have two Barbour Jackets, does that make me double cool :D

You are Fearne Cotton's dream man. FACT!

I suppose Realtree killed the Barbour to an extent in coarse fishing but they are still pretty widespread in the game world.

Kind of ironic how Realtree has replaced the Barbour in the angling world to a far greater extent than it has in the shooting world! Or am I out of touch with the shooting world (Terry Doe?)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I would say that somewhere around 1 in 2 people under the age of 40 in the fashionable environs of East London own a Barbour jacket.

If you then look specifically at the 'creative' industries, graphic design, ad agencies and the like it is then imperative to own at least 2 in different styles. Out of these 2 styles, one if not both have to be limited editions or a 1950's vintage one bought from some obscure flea market.

The only way to pull the Barbour off though in these circumstances you have to turn to your creative job on a single speed or prefferably a 'fixie' bike. For those that don't know what a 'fixie' is, it's a lovely old British or Italian steel framed bicycle stripped off all it's parts and then fitted with straight handlebars that are only just big enough to fit your hands round, brightly coloured tyres and no brakes. Brakes are for losers as are sensible jackets (virtually any other outdoor jacket other than obscure hideously expensive hard to find US outdoor brands) if you get my drift.

You also must have a beard it's an absolute necessity.

Half of East/North London look like they are about to go fur trapping in Alaska or out on a pheasant shoot at a country pile.

I think if Chris Yates were to walk down Broadway Market in Hackney, Brick Lane or amble through Shoreditch people would fall at his feet as a fashion messiah.

I have a Barbour and it stinks. I also fell off my sensible geared bike and put a hole in the elbow. I wrote to Barbour and they said it would cost nearly £100 to repair and I'd have to wait 4 months....

They are good jackets though and I'm glad that the trendies are keeping them afloat...

Edited by dant

I had a Barbour Solway for shooting for about 20 years and like a good pair of Levis it improved with age.

It went missing on the move to France. I have a strange feeling that the current Mrs Sportsman may have had something to do with that ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/