can anyone explain

chesters1

i have been using a fuji e550 for years now and in the interpolated 12 MP setting it gives a picture of 4048x3040 with excellent results.

anyway the back up battery eventually failed so i passed it on to my daughter

not being a real camera user just a snapper i found a fuji ax350 for under £50 in a local store and chose that (very good price still!)

but compared to the old brick the pictures are grainy as you zoom in on the pc

but asides that how does the picture size work as on its highest resolution on its finest setting this 16MP camera only chucks out 4608x3440

a 3.1 MP camera = 2048 × 1536 = 3,145,728 MP

if the pixels are smaller today why are the pictures more grainy close up?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have been using a fuji e550 for years now and in the interpolated 12 MP setting it gives a picture of 4048x3040 with excellent results.

anyway the back up battery eventually failed so i passed it on to my daughter

not being a real camera user just a snapper i found a fuji ax350 for under £50 in a local store and chose that (very good price still!)

but compared to the old brick the pictures are grainy as you zoom in on the pc

but asides that how does the picture size work as on its highest resolution on its finest setting this 16MP camera only chucks out 4608x3440

a 3.1 MP camera = 2048 × 1536 = 3,145,728 MP

if the pixels are smaller today why are the pictures more grainy close up?

L : (4:3) 4608 x 3440 / (3:2) 4608 x 3072 / (16:9) 4608 x 2592

M : (4:3) 3264 x 2448 / (16:9) 3072 x 1728

S : (4:3) 2304 x 1728 / (16:9) 1920 x 1080

thats the pixel range of the ax350

according to the Fuji website

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_c...ures/index.html

so first check your taking 4*3 as opposed to 16*9 piccies

second avoid using the digital zoom...digital zoom works in the same way is resizing a JPG image larger in a basic photo package...it basically recreates pixels according to original colour information, resulting in loss of resolution in the pixel and causing "noise or graininess"...this is simply done by scaling up the original pixels after the image is processed. try turning off digital zoom and testing your results at full zoom.

in general terms avoid using digital zoom at all if you can

this makes good reading also

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Edited by kirisute

yes 4:3 the 16:9 is appealing but as you show you get less for your money :D

and the digital zoom is off

i wish i could post full sized photos of the same spot from both cameras to see what i am

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Bad lens possibly?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

yes 4:3 the 16:9 is appealing but as you show you get less for your money :D

and the digital zoom is off

i wish i could post full sized photos of the same spot from both cameras to see what i am

i can give you access to my dropbox and you can dump them in there for me to look at?

i have found a picture i took with my E550 ,taken at full zoom on the camera then at 120% (in paintshop pro ) these blocks were copied

as you can see at psuedo 12MP and with a 4x zoom on the E550 its fine

with the 16MP Ax35o at 5X zoom its not good

am i comparing like for like or am i missing something

for further comparison heres one from an appalling (but great zoom) kodak z710

7.1MP 10x zoom ,120% in paintshop pro where the block was cut out

all taken from the exact same spot

not exactly sure what the 120% is basically you open up the picture then zoom into it (making the fence appear closer) until it says 120% but it must be more than the picture being 20% bigger than the original :wacko:

Edited by chesters1

chesters1,

Newt needs to be admonished. He thinks maybe you're not an astute shopper and got burned at the junk yard.

Phone

(I agree)

you could be right and with the option still of returning as "not fit for purpose" i'm asking for second opinions as to me and my expectations ;)

i have found a picture i took with my E550 ,taken at full zoom on the camera then at 120% (in paintshop pro ) these blocks were copied

as you can see at psuedo 12MP and with a 4x zoom on the E550 its fine

with the 16MP Ax35o at 5X zoom its not good

am i comparing like for like or am i missing something

for further comparison heres one from an appalling (but great zoom) kodak z710

7.1MP 10x zoom ,120% in paintshop pro where the block was cut out

all taken from the exact same spot

not exactly sure what the 120% is basically you open up the picture then zoom into it (making the fence appear closer) until it says 120% but it must be more than the picture being 20% bigger than the original :wacko:

well first observation is that they dont appear to be taken at the same lighting levels. did you have both cams side by side and take exactly the same shot at the same time of day etc?

without a test like that any conclusion other than the most basic extrapulation is impossible!

for instance the noise on the 2nd shot could be attributed to the camera not being able to shoot very well in low light conditions..nothing at all to do with MP but in fact how good the sensor is and how fast/slow the camera can shoot.

the top shot seems obviously well lit in bright sunshine...which will result in far better clarity of image.

you need to setup a test shot of something with same lighting levels and then test the cameras side by side for a true test to occur.

plus never run an image through a software application to produce a test shot. use something like Imageshack to upload the full picture for people to look at.....the very fact that you have loaded JPG images means the data is being compressed instantly....you are losing definition and pixels!

upload full size JPG direct from camera to imageshack or similar for us to see from a benchmark test of the cams side by side; thats the only true test result that will help form a true opinion.

also with a larger optical zoom you are decreasing the amount of light that can be sent to the sensor....so the further you zoom, the less light can hit the sensor, the slower the shot needs to be taken, hence the greater chance of blur if the camera doesnt have very effective stabilization or isnt on a tripod.

basically to obtain a correct exposure at full zoom the camera needs to change the ISO speeds to obtain the correct amount of light...higher ISO speeds will produce more noise in dark areas of the image...whilst slower ones will promote blur caused by wobble.

i think your noticing this far more on your second shot due to the noise in the darker picture.

finally note that your two pictures are not the same size! the lower MP one is smaller than the higher MP one....thats correct because at 120% scaling your higher MP shot will be showing more pixels per inch than your lower MP shot...hence it looks alot grainier...reduce the higher MP shot to the same "physical" size as the lower MP shot and the grainiess dissapears...again it comes back to the print size issues that are demonstarted in the article i linked in my post above.

Edited by kirisute

i see your point but rather than darker the sun is in a different position i will try now with the AX350 and the Z710

16mp 5xzoom landscape mode

7.1mp 10x zoom landscape mode

both cropped at 120%

should both be at 5x?

are my expectations to high surely the intervening years should have a marked difference in quality?

the e550 though would leave them both standing i know!

both cameras sitting on a fence post

taken at approx 5xzoom on z710

not sure size matters both shots are just a crop of a full screen rather than the size its the quality of the content

Edited by chesters1