Predators in the pond

Ed Matysiak

get a heron ,its natures way , the frogs are only there whilst "nookie" is available and tadpoles make great fish food as do fry :D

[ 19. March 2003, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There was a recent thread that got onto trout in ponds and the general concensus I think was "don't"!

Is your pond filtered?

If it is then the natural insect life in your pond is going to be pretty low. You've got to consider that whilst the predators may eat the tadpoles & fry there's going to be very little for them to eat the rest of the year, and if you want something big enough to eat the frogs (why? they're only there over the winter) then it's going to have to be a pretty big fish (couple of pounds minimum). Fish that size need a lot of food so unless you're prepared to buy baitfish for them I think you're going to find it difficult. One possibility however would be chub. I've seen small chub for sale in some shops (wrongly labelled grass carp on at least 2 occasions) and they will certainly eat the tadpoles & fry but will also survive quite happily on the regular pond food you use when the tadpoles & fry are all gone. They won't eat the frogs as I'd think it highly unlikely you'd be able to (legally) get hold of chub big enough without spending a lot of money (assuming you can even find them for sale).

If your pond isn't filtered then in addition to chub a couple of small perch or maybe even ruffe could possibly survive on a combination of tadpoles, fry and natural insects (a few maggots every now and again would no doubt help).

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Nice one david. About the thread on trout in ponds, i started it :D .

My pond has no filer and plenty of bugs. There is a lot of bloodworm in the silt at the moment. My fish get a lot of left over maggots and pinkies too. I have seen grass carp for sale in a few places. I think i mite get a better look to see if they are chub! Perch would be nice also. When i say frogs i only mean little ones that have just changed from tadpoles. Im assuming that if the small ones are eaten soon there will be few biggies.

Cheers again

Koi

you may see hundreds of tiny frogs leaving your pond but how many come back?

I would guess that only one or two survive long enough to come back and reproduce.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Don't under any circumstances, put chub in your pond. That is unless you want to lose all your other fish.

A 2lb chub, will have absolutely NO trouble eating a 6" goldfish (or anything else that size). In a 6 foot pond, they will grow to quite a size, provided there is enough food for them (YOUR OTHER FISH)

I would very much doubt you could get ANY fish species to successfully prey upon frogs, without them scoffing a lot of your other fish anyway. Perch won't eat that much, Ruffe are only small. Both of these species, if allowed to breeed, will breed well and fill your pond with stunted fish. So be prepared to remove some small ones.

Of course, you will also have to bear in mind, that if you remove fish from your pond and stock them (release them) elsewhere, you will need to have them health checked before they go. Once you've found a place for them, you will need a Section 30 stocking consent from the EA, before you release them (the rules on fish movement also apply to pets and all other fish, including those from a tank, believe it or not!).

I reckon your only option, is to remove the frospawn when you find it, but don't forget to put it in a pond somewhere else. It's an old wives tale that frogs always return to the pond where they were spawned, they usually move only a few yards away all year anyway, and the water where they come from, is usually the nearest when they need to mate, so they go there. If they find something nearer, in they go.

By far the best thing, is to let nature take it's course. Make sure there is an easy way for the Frogs to get out once they have mated, prop a plank as a ramp against the side.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

Koi,

Why bother, Tadpoles are an excellent nutritious food source supplied at a time of the year when your fish are needing some easily digested protien. Couple that with the fact that it's a completely natural foodstuff & FREE, what more could you want. :confused:

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.