Guilty

leedsunited

Had my first session of new season today.

Caight fish but didn't go as planned !

Fished waggler and floating crust. Caught 10 lbs of skimmers and a 6 lb carp on crust. While my friend, a bit more experianced and a match fisherman, caught 50 lbs of skimmers and around 4 carp around 5 lb on crust.

I lost ; shot, hooks to nylon,2 floats and a feeder.

And to top it off i hooked a goose, must have been in my cast path on the lake. Tried gently to pull free but it took quite a bit of line so i cut the line as soon as possible. I feel so guilty !

Also, i feel like i am hurting fish putting them in a keepnet. They look a bit bloody when yhey come out but not all harm is done by me, are carp keepnets better for skimmers as well ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welfare of the fish should always come first, after all what are you going fish for when there all dead. As for hooking a goose I know how you fill as I have done this with a duck once and it stop me fishing for a long time. In my view I do not think you can float fish and float bread at the same time.

Rizla

Rick J

leedsunited:

And to top it off i hooked a goose, must have been in my cast path on the lake. Tried gently to pull free but it took quite a bit of line so i cut the line as soon as possible. I feel so guilty !

:D  

How did you manage to let a goose to take the bait? I always wind in very quickly when ANY birdlife is going near to the floating bait. That way the goose will get a freebie bait but it is better than hooking it.

When you say "Tried gently to pull free but it took quite a bit of line so i cut the line as soon as possible" - How much line did you lose and what was the breaking strain of that line?

If it was an heavy line then I think you better call the local RSPCA to see if they can the bird life.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Duck's are quite placid, and if you are unlucky enough to hook one, grab it by the back and support it's underside, gently stroke it untill it calms down and unhook it, the bite it nothing to worry about, it won't hurt or cut, once you have unhooked it, keep hold of it untill it's calm, maybe feed it some corn, and let it go, although it will probably stick around for more corn.

As for the goose i'm not sure, i think the wing's could do you damage if you got hold of it.

A few months ago a kid on the same lake as me hooked a duck, then a swan decided to go over and see what all the fuss was about, and joined in the fun by chasing and trying to peck the duck, then another kid decided to help by pushing the swan away with his landing net, it took about 10 minutes to get the duck in.

It was the most comical thing i have ever seen, and the duck was fine apart from dented pride :D

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image