Since the threads seem to be on baits . What about the humble Slug

Dave H

When i was much younger i was told that a good juicy slug would catch you a big chub. Well i can't say at the age of 10 i perservered with it preferred collecting them and putting them on girls chairs just before they sat down at school and i got a low flying homed in blackboard rubber from the teacher that cut my head for my troubles. Can you imagine that now at school...BBC1 6'clock news or what?!!! :rolleyes:

But anyone rate a slug apart from the above procedure :D

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

Deffor worth a thought, they seem to be everywhere on an overnighter dave so why not stick one on a hair rig next time your out? if you have a number of rods it cant do any harm. im only on a day session tomorrow but ill give this a bash next wednesday when im on a 3 nighter

tlc.png

Deffor worth a thought, they seem to be everywhere on an overnighter dave so why not stick one on a hair rig next time your out? if you have a number of rods it cant do any harm. im only on a day session tomorrow but ill give this a bash next wednesday when im on a 3 nighter

Let us know next week ;)

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

There will be some going into the water naturally right now so they should be a good bait.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

why not stick one on a hair rig next time your out?

Try putting one on a hair an you will soon see why. ;) They aren't the nicest of baits to mess about with. I prefer to just whack em on the hook as quickly as possible. If you try to put a baiting needle through one then good luck to you. Just be ready for a real mess. :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Biggest chub I ever saw took a snail with the shell crushed. Unfortunately, Muppet boy (me) lost the fish.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I discussed this with one of the better local carp guys (ie approachable and honest ;) ). The concensus being that they work for carp some days and not others - like all baits, I suppose.

Pick them up with a folded piece of sandpaper to avoid getting slimed. As a committed organic gardener, I'd like to see many more people using them (please!).

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

me and my mate Andy Macfarlane were fishing at a carp fishery last year. there was certainly no shortage of slugs around, you could in fact just look in your groundbait bucket or any discarded crumb on the bank and find 2 or more munching on it. and as such they grew to enormous sizes.

so what does andy do. sticks one on and just as quick as the float hits the water it quickly disappears. he didnt manage to land what ever it was, but what ever it was it sure wanted that slug!

these slugs were monsters in comparison to some you see around, due the groundbait possibly. we had to cut them in to mnagable sizes to be of any use as a hookbait as sadly i didnt have any sea hooks with me. The first slice came and i decided just to stick with the sweetcorn :nonono:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Slugs are one of my favourite chub baits. The huge orange ones have been the most successful for me.

One of the great advantages is that you can bury the hook in them and there's sufficient weight to cast them into all sorts of places that other baits might hang up in. You can even skim them under trees with a bit of practice.

I've also caught trout, perch, pike and carp on slugs, but for me they're first and foremost a brilliant chub bait.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net