Can you see a good angler in a rookie?

Dave H

The new guy has no idea and the only tackle he turns up with is the Argos beginners kit. Could you tell if he/she could turn out to be a good angler or a poor one?

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. It's been well established on here that there's no such thing as a good angler or bad angler. Some people are just lucky :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Depends how keen they seem, and whether they take advice and use it. You can't denigrate a complete beginner because of their choice of kit, I've seen plenty of fellas bagging up with the most unlikely sets of fishing gear.

When I started (as a mad keen ten year old) I will admit that I was completely clueless. There isn't a lot of coarse fishing in our local area, unless you have transport, and our options were limited to just one pond, a valley which had flooded following landscaping work on a vast area of British Steel slag deposits. Few of us had any prior experience.

This venue had, over time, filled up and (I assume) become naturally stocked with perch. We all came from relatively poor families, and it was by no means unusual to see lads with a whippy stick fitted up with whatever hook, line and shot could be found discarded on the bank. The float was another, smaller piece of stick tied into the line.

With these unlikely combinations, and a few worms turned up on the bankside, we would regularly outfish grown men with "all the gear". I think the main difference was that we had learnt to be quiet. We were all country lads, roaming the countryside at will (minor poachers to a man) and had all learnt the benefits of stealth and concealment.

Anyway, I digress. How many of you have seen fellas with a hernia-inducing mountain of tackle sitting fishless? Plenty, I would reckon. You certainly can't judge the man, or his worth, by the tackle he uses.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

who's "the new guy" a forum member or someone you take fishing personally ?

saying he has no idea is usually typical of beginners in anything, i had no idea too at the start. Argos, while not my first choice of tackle shop might be more convenient for him.

ive heard others saying some of the rods/reels from Argos are actually rather decent and i remember getting a bib & brace that i wore for a few years through winter that i was extremely happy with.

if i was trying to find out if someone had potential i would be seeing if what i was trying to teach them was sticking.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I believe anyone who has a passion for angling can become a good angler regardless of tackle. Those that turn up at the bank, try nothing new, expect to catch every outing and ask no questions often get bored with not catching and move on to other hobbies. It is those that think about what they are doing and those that look to more experienced minds for inspiration that really improve. If you have enough interest/enjoyment in something you will want to become good at it and will spend the time doing so.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Serious answer - yes, you can. Some people ask the right questions without prompting and also ask questions that make you rethink your own fishing (even total beginners). Some also have the angling spirit, and that shines though very clearly. They have the right combination of temperament and enthusiasm. It's said that 10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish, and the 10% simply shine brighter, you can spot them a mile off!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The new guy has no idea and the only tackle he turns up with is the Argos beginners kit. Could you tell if he/she could turn out to be a good angler or a poor one?

The kit doesn't matter! Sure, it's very nice to fish with what you consider to be the best of available tackle, but if the rookie takes an interest in the fishes habitat and care of any captures, he'll learn! A good angler has to start "on the bottom rung" and not be too overwhelmed by all the flashy kit available. Basics first!!! If he has the heart of a true angler, he'll then search for a good tutor to teach him the finer points.

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

Yes I think you could see a potentially good angler in a ‘rookie’. If he turns up and spends a bit of time figuring out where the fish might be and then sets up quietly he’s probably on the right road to success. Those things cost nothing and the tackle is just a means to an end so shouldn’t really be an indicator as to potential ability.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Strange as it may sound coming from someone who is all ways banging on about experience YES I think you can. You can tell by watching how a guy handles the tackle and as others have said the kind of questions he asks and the way he follows advice.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Strange as it may sound coming from someone who is all ways banging on about experience YES I think you can. You can tell by watching how a guy handles the tackle and as others have said the kind of questions he asks and the way he follows advice.

I think you can spot common sense and attitude but is that enough to judge on the first session I don’t think so as that alone does not make a good angler but then my experience is not in your division but I know with falconry that’s all I could tell.

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon