The anglers net regulars....

Dave H

Curses! They'll get in where a draught wouldn't. The only effective deterrent is to make mesh covers for your trays and rows.

I shall have to have words with the cats, what am I paying them for? :lol:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say without a doubt AN posters are a bunch of traditionalists who tweek the already tweeked amongst themselves. Then biytch about it. I started a truly "outside the box" topic. You AN regulars dissapeared like stink from chit. You can only pat yourselves on the back so far down the spine then you have to shoal up and pat each other. (Nothing wrong with that, I like it that you have such a relationship with one another).

No one wants to get their English feet wet in fear of the establishment. He!!, you won't even disagree with my theory for fear I might be right (which is a distinct posibility - see hooks and attractants thread). You're suckers for the "fishwrap" mags and massive advertising. It's no wonder fish like carp that respond to "sameness" are popular.

Phone

Happily I understand very little of that.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Emma,

You of all people. I thought you would understand a hissy fit better than most.

Phone

You think that I am disposed to ;)'hissy fits'?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Emma, Rob,

I'll step lightly over to potatoes. I never grow them in dirt. I dig a couple of trenchs with small hand plow, place the dry potatoes - eye up - in the trench. NO DIRT. Cover with wheat straw. A week to a couple weeks later mound the straw again. That's it! In the old days, when we had chickens, I used a bit of chicken chit. Now days I use hardly anything to encourage growth (top or bottom). My soil is quite loose and sandy so I do have to water but only occasionally. Unlike other parts of the garden, they remain weed free for the most part. It's a small garden and I only grow about 3 - 6 pecks of potatoes - mostly for fun and I enjoy a mess or two of peas and new potatoes from the garden (mid June). We noodle our potatoes as needed - never dig.

Phone

No one wants to get their English feet wet in fear of the establishment. Phone

I will. I don't mind jumping in head first (or feet first ...)

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Can't find the hooks and attractants thread Phone. Tell me where it is, then ok away we go ...

Just out of interest, do you have any Irish ancestry in you? I just sense a bit of celtic fire in there ....

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

I was most amused at the way Emma hijacked this thread...well done Em :) Seems to have done the trick though...where have "they" all gone?

Spuds?? I love them :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Emma, Rob,

I'll step lightly over to potatoes. I never grow them in dirt. I dig a couple of trenchs with small hand plow, place the dry potatoes - eye up - in the trench. NO DIRT. Cover with wheat straw. A week to a couple weeks later mound the straw again. That's it! In the old days, when we had chickens, I used a bit of chicken chit. Now days I use hardly anything to encourage growth (top or bottom). My soil is quite loose and sandy so I do have to water but only occasionally. Unlike other parts of the garden, they remain weed free for the most part. It's a small garden and I only grow about 3 - 6 pecks of potatoes - mostly for fun and I enjoy a mess or two of peas and new potatoes from the garden (mid June). We noodle our potatoes as needed - never dig.

Phone

I looked into doing it this way, Phone, after reading extensively on the subject. The main benefits being cleaner spuds, easier picking, less pest damage and better yields. Sounds like a no-brainer, doesn't it? The cost of the straw was the problem - I couldn't find a cheap source and it would have more than doubled the price of growing them (Yield was around 250kg last season - a good year!) . Part of the ethos of growing your own is the element of thrift.....and I'm a Yorkshireman by birth ;)

Good method though, and most importantly it leaves the soil in great condition for the following year.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."