Ebay idiots

RUDD

Some time ago you used to get some great bargins on ebay - I suspect every so often you still do but the whole concept of the site seems to have been hijacked by sell for as high as you can rips off merchants or just plain simple shops.

If there is one thing on there I detest it is BUY IT NOW items.

There seem to be more shops selling stuff than genuine members of the public trying to sell a few items.

The second bunch I detest are the ones who put in the small print "For sale elsewhere - item can be deleted at any time" - or words to that effect.

Last week I won a nice shimano exage reel for under a tenner including postage - next thing I get an email telling me the item was sold elsewhere just before the auction ended.

I have been informed I dont have a leg to stand on due to small print wording IE Ebay could not give a monkies.

The next item I was interedted in was a shimano 4500 triton seaspin as I have one already.

The guy selling put something along the lines of - been in garage years gathering dust - must sell for X amount today.

I checked his history and low and behold he won a 4500 last month and had even used the same picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The price X including poastage was reasonable so I put in the bid only to be told Sorry - I have sold it elsewhere but have an identical one you can have for X amount plus Z amount as it is much newer and in better condition.

Wnakers is my only way to describe these people.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seem to be more shops selling stuff than genuine members of the public trying to sell a few items.

The second bunch I detest are the ones who put in the small print - or words to that effect.

I have used the line "For sale elsewhere - item can be deleted at any time" because in my case I was advertising the item (a motorcross bike) in 3 different locations. Not everyone is lying when they say the item was sold elsewhere but I know that some can and will use it as a method of getting a minimum price for their item. I guess it is fair enough even if it isnt very sporting. Nobody wants to get peanuts for something they forked out good money for.

In the first case could you not have rejected his wish to cancel the transaction? In both instances I would have rejected his efforts to cancel the item and left him negative feedback. If no body negs him then he will just continue to do the same.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Most of the stuff I buy is on BUY IT NOW, these days. That said, my 'new' Senseo coffee machine arrived today - £10 + £6 postage. Bargain! I love eBay :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I'm quite surprised by this! Obvious scammers aside I almost always buy thing on eBay as buy it now. I have found if I want something very specific then it is far easier to get it on eBay than from my local tackle shops. So most of my hooks and boilies and few other bits and bobs come from eBay. I am happy there are shops on there, it just makes online shopping so much easier, rather than having to search umpteen online catalogues. The advantages of shops is they are easily found and contacted if there is an issue!

I also sell my stuff buy it now, if people don't want to pay that's fine. I always set a fair price and in most cases the items sell in less than a day.

I find the auctions annoying, you find something you want bid along and then get beaten by 10 bids in the last 0.0001 second.

Rich

I find the auctions annoying, you find something you want bid along and then get beaten by 10 bids in the last 0.0001 second.

Oh, and if I do bid, I always bid in the last 0.0001 of a second. No point bidding earlier, to be honest :D

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Oh, and if I do bid, I always bid in the last 0.0001 of a second. No point bidding earlier, to be honest :D

Damn you Murphy! That's the annoying thing, all that excitement only to lose it at the last moment. If I really want the item I'll just wait for a reasonable BIN. That said I rarely bid on larger items.

Rich

Damn you Murphy! That's the annoying thing, all that excitement only to lose it at the last moment. If I really want the item I'll just wait for a reasonable BIN. That said I rarely bid on larger items.

Rich

I'm the same, Rich.

I've mentioned it here before, but I used to run a far better auction system than eBay, both on here and on a giftware site I ran. Auctions ended at a set time, OR a set time (say, 2 minutes) after the last bid. That way, there was no sniping and some auctions dragged on for quite a while past their allotted closing time. It was a lot more exciting and a better system for sellers, too.

That way, there was no sniping and some auctions dragged on for quite a while past their allotted closing time. It was a lot more exciting and a better system for sellers, too.

That is a much better system. I guess ebay cant use it because someone might want their auction to end bang on say 12pm in order to get the money in time for when they need it. Would love to see the option to have that functionality on an auction if you wanted it though.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Rich

That’s part of the fun I think but it does depend on how badly you want something. Last second bidding only works if you’re confident that your max price is higher than anybody else’s (if you want it badly enough it should be).

If I use e-bay for a purchase I prefer BIN, there’s enough trade sellers to offer competitive deals compared to shops and it’s so much easier.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back