Ebay idiots

RUDD

If I use e-bay for a purchase I prefer BIN, there’s enough trade sellers to offer competitive deals compared to shops and it’s so much easier.

I agree 9 times out of ten. I just select BIN only and then sort by price and P&P. Cheapest deal on ebay every time lol.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was selling around 60 items a month on eBay, most of them BIN. I used to put a few on normal auctions starting at 99p to generate interest and I'd get bidders asking if their was a BIN price even though there were identical items listed as BIN.

What really boiled my pee was when I listed household items before we moved abroad and in the listing I clearly stated that there was no BIN, the auction would run to the end and go to the highest bidder. Every single item received at least ten requests to sell it to them for a price that turned put to be around 1/3 of the end price.

Regards, Clive

If there is one thing on there I detest it is BUY IT NOW items.

I find BIN very useful, I don't want to go traipsing round shops and I often want little odds and ends that would be difficult to source locally. Some people of course don't have easy access to shops, for them BIN is ideal providing the price is right.

I did see something today on Ebay which I've not seen before, in the listing for an item the seller states that there is a handling charge of £750.00 to be added to the final auction price. So, say you win it for £10.00 the final price will be £760.00. Can they do that?

i'm another buy it now buyer ,its simplfies matters ,you look at the item and if the BIN price is reasonable then its just clickerty click job done ,some BINs are high ,you just need too compare prices first.

i do put BIN offers on expensive items ,i try too make it a tempting price for a quick sale ,i back this up by having a reserve .i prefer people to buy of me through BINs ,again its quick and simple .& i get my hands on the money quicker .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

As for the comics that state their stuff is advertised elsewhere it is VERY much against Ebay rules! Hit the report button and the seller will get endless grief from the bay of evil goons especially if it has happened to them more than once.

The reason is that it is classed as trying to do evilbay out of their fees and they really don't like that.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Blimey Rudd! :headhurt: You've been lucky only to come up against it recently. For years now these "Wnakers" have been at it. Some years ago I discovered that several items that I was bidding on were being "Bidded up" by pals of the Seller. It took a little bit of detective work to figure it out but the means were, at that time, available to all users. When you checked on the Buyers history, it became obvious by the number of withdrawn bids that something was amiss. You could even see that the "Buyer"(?) had withdrawn bids several times from the same seller! Even after several complaints to Ebay nothing was done. Nowadays Ebay offer these "Wnakers" the luxury of withholding the bidders names from view while they continue their dodgy practices. I am personally convinced that Ebay choose to ignore these practises as long as the money keeps rolling in. Fortunately there are many, many more authentic and conscientious Sellers using Ebay :clap2: but occasionally you will encounter these "Wnakers"!

Some time ago you used to get some great bargins on ebay - I suspect every so often you still do but the whole concept of the site seems to have been hijacked by sell for as high as you can rips off merchants or just plain simple shops.

If there is one thing on there I detest it is BUY IT NOW items.

There seem to be more shops selling stuff than genuine members of the public trying to sell a few items.

The second bunch I detest are the ones who put in the small print "For sale elsewhere - item can be deleted at any time" - or words to that effect.

Last week I won a nice shimano exage reel for under a tenner including postage - next thing I get an email telling me the item was sold elsewhere just before the auction ended.

I have been informed I dont have a leg to stand on due to small print wording IE Ebay could not give a monkies.

The next item I was interedted in was a shimano 4500 triton seaspin as I have one already.

The guy selling put something along the lines of - been in garage years gathering dust - must sell for X amount today.

I checked his history and low and behold he won a 4500 last month and had even used the same picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The price X including poastage was reasonable so I put in the bid only to be told Sorry - I have sold it elsewhere but have an identical one you can have for X amount plus Z amount as it is much newer and in better condition.

Wnakers is my only way to describe these people.

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

Something that surprises me more and more recently, specifically with larger, new items, is how often you can find a better online price than is offered via BIN, and it takes very little effort via Google. One of the benefits (apart from saving money) is that you are usually buying from an established dealer, where you should be able to get a much better level of support etc in the event of problems, not to mentiom, putting money into, and supporting, someones local tackle shop. A couple of recent instances were a Shimano Beastmaster rod that I was severely tempted by on a BIN: a quick Google found me a retailer offering the exact same rod at just 50% of that price, in their sale - another quick search saved me nearly £70 on a reel!

Books are another area I dig around in - if I see something on Ebay that takes my fancy, as often as not I can find it on Amazon UK at a better price than the BIN or starting price that is being offered, irrespective of the genre of the book, or whether it is new or used :P

Rudd,

I don't shop e-bay. Wondering? Could e-bay require the seller to state the number available and when that number was reached the "sold" symbol would automatically appear - by e-bay?

I haven't a clue.

Phone

Books are another area I dig around in - if I see something on Ebay that takes my fancy, as often as not I can find it on Amazon UK at a better price than the BIN or starting price that is being offered, irrespective of the genre of the book, or whether it is new or used :P

I often find fishing gear on Amazon, and it's frequently post free and cheaper than e-Bay. But there are a lot of mug punters that blindly buy on e-Bay as they assume that that is the cheapest place. As Philocalist writes, Google is a good source, especially if you have the patience to go past the first few pages, and know the name of the item you want.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I often find fishing gear on Amazon, and it's frequently post free and cheaper than e-Bay. But there are a lot of mug punters that blindly buy on e-Bay as they assume that that is the cheapest place. As Philocalist writes, Google is a good source, especially if you have the patience to go past the first few pages, and know the name of the item you want.

I disagree. The reason being that the vast majority of shops on ebay have matching shops on amazon if you look at their names. I have also found many prices to be exactly the same. Of course this could just be my experience and others may buy different things to me.

I do agree with double checking using google shopping though. I always double check it is the cheapest price. Often though with google shopping a price appears cheap but then when you go to checkout you have to add another £5-£10 for delivery which makes them roughly the same or the other costs a couple of quid more.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk