I want a frothy head.

littlefeathers

i bought some "fiery" ginger beer today ,looking through the ingrediants i was appalled to see there was no ginger in it

i had an old formerlery (sp?) its what chemists used to have , cola with "real" cola leaves ,magical ingrediants long since forgotten ,but they did have some great recipies for fruit juices made mostly with fruit (unheard of today) the several ginger beer recipes involved brewing ,i have long since lost the book but i will be doing a search for old recipes this very night ,ginger beer without ginger ,thats a bit like fishing without a hook it all looks normal from the bank but there`s "something" missing :(

just came across one for "old fashioned" ginger beer ,it started ok with champagne yeast but fell short on the last line with "4 tbl spoons of ginger beer essence" i want ginger ,ginger, ginger :mad:

[ 19. September 2003, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you need a ginger beer plant first chesters,all in good old fashioned english measurements.

1/2 oz general purpose yeast

1/2 pint water

sugar

ground ginger

juice of 2 lemons

put yeast in jar, add water, 2 level t spoons sugar, 2 level t spoon ginger, mix 2 gether.

cover jar with plastic sheet held in place by elastic band.

each day for 7 days add 1 level t spoon sugar & 1 level t spoon ginger.

thenstrain through piece of muslin, add lemon juice to liquid.

you can now use this to make your ginger beer, if you want recipes let me know :D

GROUND GINGER what do you take me for some girly :D

i found a recipy that looks the same as my old one ,yours with taetaric acid and fermentation ,yum it reminds me of my scouts trip to Botley ,stone jars and all (i had joined just for the holiday ,it rained every day :( ) my poor blanket pins rusted first night ,the posh kids had bags :(

they also sold root beer :confused: is it the same stuff? the ingediants also didnt list what the "root" was that wasnt in it ,sounds a bit foreign to me.... Newt is "root" beer for people that cannot pronounce the word ginger :confused:

[ 19. September 2003, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Just out of interest, what sort of wine are we likely to end up with :confused: Paul and I both like a medium, No 3-4 and prefer rose or white. Now some clever cloggs is gonna tell me we're making a very dry red arent they

:(:(, god im so thick

I quite like the taste of Black Tower and Blue Nun, :rolleyes: what sort of wine would I be looking at trying to make to achieve similar taste, sweetness and lightness.... or am I talking a load of cr*p and really need to give this wine making up before it gets any worse. :D:D

you should really have destoned and crushed the fruit to a pulp (even better use a electric juicer)if you just chuck the fruit in a bucket with water sugar and yeast you will get alcohol but just slightly fruit flavoured :( a heating mat is the best source of warmth putting it in the airing cupboard etc is not very good for the brew as it keeps stop starting with the temp changes :)

Now what do we do with it? We've had a week of froth and foam, we've sterilised the long-johns - opps sorry I meant the demi-johns, are we now ready to syphon the pyphon

Is there the slightest chance we might be able to sample our product at christmas or have we got to wait till next year?

littlefeathers:
What I would do is take a sheet of muslin and secure it to a funnel, pour the liquid into the demijohn until it reaches the sholder, then insert the clean air lock. When it has cleared, syphen off again. Don't bottle until it has stoped fermenting.

Chesters was quite correct about de stoning and giving it a good mash, bit late now but I don't think it would do any harm to give it a good mash about today and strain it off in the morning.

Lets see if anyone thinks I am wrong or has any othere ideas.

I don't know about Christmas, seems a bit soon to me. If you want one (6 Weeks) for xmas, try the rice and raisin but watch it as it can be very strong, well at least mine was :D

Alan(nl)

[ 22. September 2003, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/