I want a frothy head.

littlefeathers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

littlefeathers:

:D   Thanks Alan, ive been giving it a little squish every day. We have no muslin so I'll get paul to go through my draws later       and 'fish' out a pair of tights    :D      :D  

The next batch looks like it could be rice and raisin then      

Don't filter it through anything at this stage. There is really no need and you might just kill the ferment or set it back. Just rack it into demi-johns and put an airlock on.

An even better plan would be to get a hold of a proper 25 litre fermenting bin and ferment out the must in this. The more bulk you have the more stable will be the fermentation.

I would caution against adding too much (any) rice to wine. Rice=starch=cloudy wine IMHO.

Chester is right about the heating mat, although personally I like the immersion type heaters (they look a bit like fish tank heaters, they probably are fish tank heaters)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

How's the brew coming on ? little word of warning - beware the fruit flies - little-onions & i have had to take stingent measures & spray the compost bin.

I will call mr. Littlefeathers soon about installing the CD rewriter.

C U soon x x x

Alan Taylor:

Alan Taylor:

I would caution against adding too much (any) rice to wine. Rice=starch=cloudy wine IMHO.

3lb raisins and 5lb long grain rice and keep the starch for the old mans shirts :D

Alan(nl)

ps ours was as clear as a bell and smashing.

pps oops just noticed the too much (any)rice to wine bit, bit difficult to make rice and raisin wine without the rice :confused: :D

[ 22. September 2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

I will have a go at making the rice and raisin wine, but in the meantime I've just picked about 20-30 lb of apples. :D Now there is only so much chutney, apple sauce etc I can make, can I make a successful wine out of this lot. :confused:

Also there were some quinces, or so I was told, I've picked about 3-4lb of these - again im stuck for ideas, ones of these days I might actually use the little bit of brain I got.

littlefeathers:

I will have a go at making the rice and raisin wine, but in the meantime I've just picked about 20-30 lb of apples.  

Here we go again :P

Medium, needs 24 lb of apples, 3lb sugar for 1 gallon.

Dry, 6lb apples, 2 1/2lb sugar, 1/4 pint white concentrate, 1 teaspoon citric acid, 1 gallon water.

Oh and of course the yeast and nutrient for both.

Both can be drunk after 6 months but the medium is better after a year

Once again I am no expert but have dabbled a fair old bit, all my info comes from the book

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

How about this Littlefeathers..........core, peel and chop apples and place in a large bowl. Next add 1/2 bottle of vodka, 1/2 bottle of white rum, 2 bottles of red wine and a glass of fruit juice. Bingo! you can drink straight away, no waiting.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Originally posted by Alan Taylor:

Here we go again :P

-----------------------------------

Thank you again Alan , What a shame your too far away to sample our concoction. :D Thou I suppose we could always send a video clip of the effects its having on us .

aanthony, thanks for the quick fix

corydoras, thanks also for your advice, I need to rack other peoples brains as mine suffers from permanent hybernation zzzzzzzzzzzzzz