looking for a lure.

Ken L

This is the Kokoda Bugger Chug.

The exact same lure used to be sold by Calelas as the "June Frog" under their own brand, so I assume it's a Chinese made generic that lots of companies sell.

I got a couple of the Cabelas ones a while back and they're great topwater chub lures.

I'd like a few more but really don't want to mess about with imports.

I'm sort of hoping that someone knows a company in the UK knocking these lures out under their own brand.

Any ideas ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

This is the Kokoda Bugger Chug.

The exact same lure used to be sold by Calelas as the "June Frog" under their own brand, so I assume it's a Chinese made generic that lots of companies sell.

I got a couple of the Cabelas ones a while back and they're great topwater chub lures.

I'd like a few more but really don't want to mess about with imports.

I'm sort of hoping that someone knows a company in the UK knocking these lures out under their own brand.

Any ideas ?

Try calling these guys

http://www.themoy.com//index.php

They are listed on the website of the Chinese manufacturer of the pen rods I use....said Chinese manufacturer also create a large variety of plugs/ lures....some of which resemble your bug....not a perfect match but might do the job....chances are if the company still imports from them thy might be able to get you some?

lf50D.jpg

lf30b.jpg

Edited by kirisute

May not be too much help as they no longer sell them but harris used to do a copy call the mean bugsy. I have a few that like you use to chub. Maybe contact Harris asking of previous supplier or some one with more knowledge than me may already know ?

Is a shame they got rid of the mean range as ALOT of them where great fish catchers.

MeanBugsyinfo.jpg

HarrisBugsyPage.jpg

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

J.K.

I think one of the two that I have may have come from Harris - the other is definitely Cabelas.

I agree that some of the Mean lures were decent fish catchers but that part of the business died a death when Chris and Sue sold up.

As said, I know these things are sold globally and source from some OEM company in China so I'm sure I'll track down a supply somewhere - if not here then in SE Asia.

Thanks for the other suggestions folks but they all look to dive whereas this lure basically a tiny wake bait and is just the job for sorting out the bigger chub in shallow water. I had several fish over 4lb on them last year and a couple over 5, so they're handy to have in the arsenal.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I agree that some of the Mean lures were decent fish catchers but that part of the business died a death when Chris and Sue sold up.

Where Chris & Sue are now

http://www.steppingstonesbelize.com/

:)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Yes, they were well ahead of the curve with distance selling and made a good whack of cash out of it and a whole whack more by selling the business on.

BTW: A Lot of those old Mean lures can still be found in places like Barlow's Tackle.

Edited by Ken L