Pound of line limit?

Inderblitz

Hi, I will stop asking questions at some time :P

JUst quick one again, I have a rod ( My first one, Shakespeare Omni X Match Rod 12ft) and on it it says max reel line 6 pounds. What will happen if i addd/use a line wiht a higher breaking strain, say 12 pounds to go extreme? Will it break the rod or will it just nto cast of somethign? P.S this is my Float rod that i use, normally equipped wiht 4/6 pound line.

Thanks in advance ;)

What will happen if i addd/use a line wiht a higher breaking strain, say 12 pounds to go extreme? Will it break the rod

It's quite possible, not just by using the heavier line but if you hook a fish that requires 12lb line and use it to the limit the rod could easily break - I've seen it happen, :rolleyes: (but not to me).

Inder,

It will just give you a "funky" balanced rig. It is possible to over extend the rod - but highly unlikely. I'm not sure what the tip and ring size is. It may affect/effect casting distance to a greater extent also. It won't be as "fun" to fish with as if you balance rod - reel and line together. It is what we call "feel" for lack of a better term.

Phone

Inder,

It will just give you a "funky" balanced rig. It is possible to over extend the rod - but highly unlikely. I'm not sure what the tip and ring size is. It may affect/effect casting distance to a greater extent also. It won't be as "fun" to fish with as if you balance rod - reel and line together. It is what we call "feel" for lack of a better term.

Phone

Hm Alright. I think i know what you mean. Id rather fish wish low breakign strain as feel more fun to fish and can feel teh fishes every move whcih i like. Saying thats what your refering to :P

Dont want to break my rod, lasted me a year, want it to keep going.

The rod will usually work best within the limits the manufacturer has set, but some rods are far more capable than their ratings suggest. For instance, I know that I can abuse my Maver float rod (recommended max. 5lb) with lines up to 8 lb where needed without fear of breakage, but this is something you can only determine by careful experiment.

Edited by robtherake

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Generally the quoted line strengths are more to do with line diameter than the actual BS, its about the balance of the rod and the ability to be able to cast efficiently. Match rods have much smaller rings than say a leger rod and therefore will not perform has well with larger diameter lines, I have on my match rods used line to BS 10lbs, but the line is a Japanese tournament line and 4.2 Kg BS is only 0.16mm Dia.

I hope that makes sense.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I very much doubt that you could break 3lb line with your match rod given good knots and a steady pull.

6lb gives you a lot of room fo poor knots, the option of a lighter hook lengths and if much more forgiving of sharp pulls. It will also cast well given the sort of weight range that the rod is designed to cast.

Move up to 12lb and you gain nothing in terms of pulling power but loose significantly in terms of casting distance and presentation. You also risk breaking the rod if you do happen to hook something that pushes that 12lb line to its limit.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.