Cant get my head around it??

tetley

yes I agree if you are targeting carp perhaps but the original post did not specify a species,if you use 20lb line in a match where only the odd carp may appear I doubt if you would get much action from anything else.

each to their own :)

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice to know someone knows where i am coming from. On some match waters i know one in particualr there are loads of snags and weed beds, the whole lake is practically one big weed bed. You have to use 10lb line and big strong rods (pike rods even) to get these fish which range from 1lb to 5lb out. Surely if these fish can be cought in numbers using this method then they can be caught in normal waters.

well i think that is going a bit to far. If your going to catch fish that size then all you need is a match rod or a small spinning rod you would easily catch them. and you obviously don't fish in the weed fish near them so you can get them out easier. :rolleyes::P

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...

I don't think there is much wisdom in over gunning as is fashionable. Over do it and you have pulled hooks and damaged fish. But there is some wisdom in thicker lines when after livebait(!).

It's only a theory but I reckon that if I were a fish and I brushed past something that I couldn't see then I might be spooked. If I could see it then I would just accept it! Fanciful thinking, you decide.

Yes I do think a slightly heavier approach might mean being able to shorten the length by which you play a fish. Over do it and you might also reduce it to the level of a fish-monger!

In match fishing I accept that all that matters is getting the fish on the bank, and bugger all else! So yes Tetley, there is some merit in your suggestion. But finding the balance is the problem.

I find it objectionable when match anglers hook a biggish carp or bream and then go for a break rather than 'waste' time landing it on inadequate gear. So yes, in many cases stronger gear would be preferable.

mpbdsnu:

Yes, and we've all seen the state of some of their mouths!

Education is what is needed mate, and kids reading the above will be misled, and think its fine to use heavier tackle and yank em in!

Not good!

I cant see how my post was misleading and as you say "Education is whats needed" NOT just dont do this.I also think that the comments I made about matchmen on the comercial carp waters (of which I am not one incidently)are setting a far better example to the kids in using 3lb hook lengths rather than the traditional 1.1lb etc for fish of this size.Damaged mouths caused by 3lb lines and poles?no I dont think so! more like bad unhooking.As you said lets educate the kids not mislead them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

ye i see many children fishing and not knowing how to unhook a fish. I used to be like that at one point. So i had to either ask my dad to help me or i was on my own i used to ask another person who was fishing or get my mate to help me.

Nathan

Genuine Taff

Probably...