If you see someone with a cold, walk away.

Ken L

I generally shrug off colds and I think it's over two years since I had a day off sick but on Thursday of last week I started to go down with something. I croaked my way through Friday with my poor clients struggling to hear me on the phone. Saturday and Sunday I did hardly anything except pop out for a short two hour session with the spinning rod.

Monday morning, I woke up unable to speak and e-mailed into work to say I wouldn't be in then managed to squeak my way through a conversation with the boss two hours latter before going back to bed. I woke up to the sound of a ball being bounced in the street and rolled over to check the clock thinking "Bloody kids should be at school" - it was five in the evening.

Yesterday it got worse. Swallowing hurts, I'm breathless walking up stairs, my joints ache and now my tinnitus is starting up.

It's now half past three in the morning and I'm up and have just taken a handful of pills including painkillers and decongestants. Looks like another fun day off work doing bugger all.

Not having a moan honest but if someone tells you they've got this bug, tell them to stay away, you really don't want a dose of it.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Agreed. I get very few colds normally and those I do get last a week at most. I've had the bug you mention and I'm still coughing 3 weeks later! Don't try to do too much too soon - the enfeebling after-effects of this one feel more like flu!

I generally shrug off colds and I think it's over two years since I had a day off sick but on Thursday of last week I started to go down with something. I croaked my way through Friday with my poor clients struggling to hear me on the phone. Saturday and Sunday I did hardly anything except pop out for a short two hour session with the spinning rod.

Monday morning, I woke up unable to speak and e-mailed into work to say I wouldn't be in then managed to squeak my way through a conversation with the boss two hours latter before going back to bed. I woke up to the sound of a ball being bounced in the street and rolled over to check the clock thinking "Bloody kids should be at school" - it was five in the evening.

Yesterday it got worse. Swallowing hurts, I'm breathless walking up stairs, my joints ache and now my tinnitus is starting up.

It's now half past three in the morning and I'm up and have just taken a handful of pills including painkillers and decongestants. Looks like another fun day off work doing bugger all.

Not having a moan honest but if someone tells you they've got this bug, tell them to stay away, you really don't want a dose of it.

I know what you mean I feel like crap my owd feller aged 86 had it put him in bed for 3 weeks normally he soldiers on but this was bad un now Ive got it ,plus my brother and his mrs are over from the States and theyve brought another virus with them and have been in bed for 2 days hope I dont get theirs on top of mine :rolleyes:

Number me with Rage it,s a shame Number me in Haste its a shame

My Wife is very ill at the minute with symptoms similar to what you describe.

She is also suffering from night sweats and I am up with her sometimes for 2-3 hours night.

My GP says it is viral and that he is seeing pockets of people with this illness. Not everyone in close contact with those infected is getting sick which indicates that they are potentially carriers so isolation may not be the answer.

It can take up to 8 weeks to fully recover and in many cases the sufferer contracts a secondary infection after recovery.

Yes, I would never normally take antibiotics for a cold or flu for the very simple reason that they don't work but I was worried enough by my breathing difficulties to start taking them prophylactically this morning because I have no doubt that a secondary bacterial chest infection would see me in hospital.

I might try to go back to work in the morning but I won't be commuting by bike !

Edit:

Phone.

Just saw your message typed as I was posting. It's 9pm here and yes, I'm still alive. The combination of a healthy dose of Paracetamol and the decongestants that I picked up in India has me feeling almost human - even if it still hurts to eat and swallow and I can barely talk.

Actually, I'm quite impressed with the decongestants. The chappie wouldn't sell me any pseudo-ephedrine and gave me an alternative instead. They seem to work better without making my nasal passages feel as if they've been dry cleaned or convincing my brain that I've had WAY to much caffeine.

I shall be stocking up next time.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

My Wife is very ill at the minute with symptoms similar to what you describe.

She is also suffering from night sweats and I am up with her sometimes for 2-3 hours night.

My GP says it is viral and that he is seeing pockets of people with this illness. Not everyone in close contact with those infected is getting sick which indicates that they are potentially carriers so isolation may not be the answer.

It can take up to 8 weeks to fully recover and in many cases the sufferer contracts a secondary infection after recovery.

Your missus has my sympathy, mate. The only time I have had "proper" flu it took 6 weeks to regain any kind of stamina. At it's worst - hand on heart - I thought I was going to croak.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Well, work didn't happen. I was up all night coughing my lungs up.

On the positive side, although i'm zombie boy from lack of sleep, my breathing is now a lot easier.

That's a week since i was right and four days off work.

I can't even remember the last time I had a day off with a cold !