Digital Cameras

ayjay

Another serious consideration is/are the batteries. I use NMH in my Olympus c3000 zoom, they can be charged up anytime and a spare set is always charged up the evening before going fishing/walking/anywhere I might get a picture or two.

I take loads of pics every week and check them out on the pc when I get home, while in Japan fot the World Cup I took several hundred which I downloaded on my sons pc on to CD's. Pictures I will treasure, most of which would not have been taken had I not gone digital.

If you are only going to print up to 8 x 6inches then 2Mgp will be plenty good enough, most of the time I use a resolution of 1280 x 960 (1.3mgp) and use this for 6 x 4 prints and get excellent results.

The ability to choose to overide the auto setting is useful, I had a problem with the "delay" that you get when pressing the shutter and getting the picture, this was when taking pics of a moving object, or in my case a swimming dog. I altered the ISO rating on the menu, raising it to 400 and now the camera reacts much faster, it is now almost instantaneous.

Have a look at this site http://pcphotoreview.com Lots of reviews

Happy snapping

Den :)

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuji finepix is a very fine camera, ajp, (I have one) but thats been superceded by the 1400, you can get it for under £130, it has a timer on it too look at this site, http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk/

all the best...hoppy :)

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

Thats what I've got, the Fuji finepix 1400.

Pretty pleased with it, easy to use, just it only came with a 4mb smartmedia card which means I can only take 6 shots on the best setting.

Just been looking at Hoppys link and the media cards.I might have to order a 64mb one for £29

That sounds cheap. :D

HB.

First of all thanks again for the answers,I was very interested in the Olympus,but unfortunately they were'nt terribly interested in me.

I had a simple technical question about that camera which I sent to them by email and it took three weeks and several more emails to different adresses before I finally sent them one and told them to stick their camera where the sun don't shine;funnily enough I got an answer to the question the next day.

I can now pose that same question to all you experienced digital users.When you use the self timer at what moment does your camera focus the picture,is it when you press the button or is it when it releases the shutter?

The reason for asking is obvious really,there never seems to be anyone around when I want to take a pic of a fish and I don't like just shots of fish in a net or on a mat and so I have to do it myself.Now you can't be in the frame for it to focus and press the button at the same time.

Thanks again, John

i dont know about other camera`s but the finepix 4800 has a prefocus function i expect even in the cheaper ones you can manually focus the camera on a object then remove it and position yourself in the same place :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

What I normally do is set the tripod up near a hedge or tree about 8 -10 feet away and my shots are on the whole pretty good.Most of them are in the dark as well with the camera just set on auto.

I might be doing it wrong but it works for me.I've just been having a look for the instruction manual but can't find it. :mad:

HB.

I had the same one as Gray and the pics are excellent quality but I didn't like the idea of no lens cover as I am a scruffy git were tackle and suchlike are concerned and it would not have lasted me long.

I upgraded to the fuji 2400 with a sliding lens cover so it will last me a bit longer.

John.

[ 25 June 2002, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: fisherking ]

I,m no expert aj, Howard and chesters right, just aim and shoot, simple as that,just make sure you have enough room for yourself in the pic. Have a practice in the house, at the distance you want to be from the camera, then review your pics and see if everything is in the photo as you want it, your not wasting anything with a Digi...good luck.

hoppy

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

i think his question is "when does it focus ,if it focus`s at the press of the button the camera will focus on the horizon (or anything closer) or does it focus just before the shutter closes " i think in retrospect if your using a timer it must focus at shutter closing otherwise nothing would be in focus when its being used in this function :) (as the timer is only used to take pictures of yourself err usually)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You've got it Chesters,unfortunately my present camera when using the self timer does focus when the button is pressed to start the countdown whereas the previous one to that which was almost identical except not weatherproof used to focus as it took the pic.

The first couple of rolls of fishing film that went through the newer one were wonderful flash shots of rhododendrons with some smudge in front of them holding a fish shaped object.

Obviously I am trying to avoid that happening with a new digital,there may be a prefocus feature but it's enough of a hassle taking fish shots in the dark on your own as it is without complicating it further.I do like to get it done as quickly as possible and get the fish back.