New Years Day - first fish of the year??

Newt

Welcome Broadwaters and glad to hear you had a very active day for mid-winter.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ya boys, sorry i posted that photo now, i didnt mean to cause such a fuss.

Am i to believe that you all carry unhooking mats while wondering up and down the rivers?

I for one have been to a few places now rangeing from local parks and streams to the Royalty and have never seen anyone using one!

My point is that if no-one is using then and they are landing a fish they still have to place the landing net on the floor dont they so they are still risking eye damage as all landing nets that i know of have holes in them.

Regards to you all.

Clint

[ 03. January 2005, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Clint ]

Dont worry Clint Nugg was teasing we had a debate about this grass in the eyes lark quite recently.

Was it the Lower Itchen Fishery you were at? Martin Bowler reccomended it to me a while ago and Ive not got round to taking him up on the offer.It certainly looks nice.We all had a great day on the Test at Timsbury recently after grayling.I was a bit dissapointed in the average size though.Martin had mentioned this to me when we spoke and said the Itchen fish were bigger.

Cant beat a bit of trotting for grayling at this time of year.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Budgie thanks for your kind words.

The place i was fishing wasnt the " Lower Itchen Fishery" it is in fact the "Lower Bishopstoke Fishery" which on our Eastleigh book we can fish between November and Febuary.

There are some clonking great fish in there ! in my earlier post i said i got banged up a few times, im sure one of those times it was a very large Grayling, in 2002 i witnessed our Fishery manager ( EADAC ) catch and weigh a Grayling over 3lb!

We have found some great stretches on our club book that hold some very nice Grayling that are not that pressured in fact some places are not fished at all!!!! (Thank god they all found carp fishing lol )

Regards Clint

[ 03. January 2005, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Clint ]

How right you are Clint - not pressured at all!

Budgie - would definitely say that the Itchen holds a better stamp of grayling than the Test, that said, what I know of the Test comes from others experience, whilst my own experience of the Itchen has seen plenty of 2lb fish, and several approaching 3lb.

There's a swim on this stretch that has to be one of the most productive grayling swims ever, Just above the first hut, two trees up, trotting down to the point where the river narrows. It's a nice deep glide that produces a fish a chuck when the winter comes.

These stretches are tightly controlled, but I believe bookings / day tickets can be had on the Lower Itchen Fishery, This would be an ideal venue for a fish-in!!