Set lines (LakeDistrict !)

Rich_

Just a note to anyone fishing in the area. We found a couple of crude set lines baited with snap tackle type rigs obviously intended to catch pike last night. They were set in about 5 or 6 ft of water with about 40ft of nylon attached to clear plastic bottles on the surface. Fortunately nothing had taken them, also with that amount of line on the float, birds or animals could have got tangled in it and anglers would get the blame! It seems similar set ups have been found elsewhere in the region too .

I reckon any bottle or such like not drifting with the breeze is worth checking out if you can get to it...

setlin10.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bastards. What right do they think they have to do that?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Yep, this is why my local waters don't have pike anymore.

Keep it quiet though or someone will call you rude mames.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

To turn a blind eye to it as anglers, and not report it to the EA is worse I think , Ken, we have to be seen as not condoning this type of activity. It's obvious who's doing it, we never saw this sort of thing until recent years, and set ups like this are a danger to all wild life. I see what you are saying though, and whether anything will be done about it is another thing.

Rich,

I detest poaching. Do you suppose the fish would be sold for a "stocking" operation? I've eaten pike, they aren't all that good. Seems someone is going to a lot of trouble for a not very worthwhile quarry if it's for the pot.

We have pretty good enforcement over here. Most poachers are selling the fish live to someone trying to concentrate a species.

Phone

(another plus for our Second Amendment)

Well done for removing them!

We all know that this sort of thing is not done by true anglers but will certainly give us a bad name! It should always be reported! :angry:

"....you should have been here yesterday!"

Phone.

These are gorge rigs. The chances of a pike surviving being caught on one of these are slim and certainly not what someone would use if they wanted to stock a water.

There are only to reasons for setting rigs like this.

An attempt to remove or reduce the pike population in a water (Unlikely in the lake district) or to catch pike for food.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I've eaten (legally) lake district pike and found it very good - I think the eating quality depends a lot on the water quality.

The EA needs to be informed of this illegal fishing.

Ireland is cursed with the likes of East European poaching. They have no respect for anything.

If possible I’d remove bait, hooks etc to leave just the bottles tethered. Call whatever authorities you have there and hopefully have it under surveillance. They probably wouldn’t be prosecuted as there will be no ‘fish’, but at least they will have their info. logged for the future.

I would think the local angling clubs would be happy to watch for the returning poachers !!

I would think the local angling clubs would be happy to watch for the returning poachers !!

Sadly, I can see it coming to that.

If the EA and other bodies won't employ the manpower to protect waters and the law fail to effectively prosecute, a vanload of big blokes with big sticks can be very persuasive.