Set lines (LakeDistrict !)

Rich_

It's obvious who's doing it, we never saw this sort of thing until recent years, and set ups like this are a danger to all wild life. I see what you are saying though, and whether anything will be done about it is another thing.

Who do you imagine is doing it? is it Eastern Europeans, if so you may well be right, it's just that I don't see them. Admittedly most of my fishin is off the tourist trail. I did see and briefly spoke to some 'Geordie/Lithuanian' people fishing localy last summer and they were returning their catches and even using a 'bed' (their words..it was a unhooking mat). The same week I saw a very English fellow who appeard to be quite 'pizzed' fishing while bbq'ing (in the shadow of Dodd, so you will know where I mean Rich) 'returing jis pike by holding them by the wrist of the tail and lobbing them out as far as he could. I was on my boat with my 10 year old grandson who sadly witnessed this, but at least he now realises that not all who call themselves anglers are up to much.

I was shown how to fish with set lines for pike in the 60s, it was at least on one water a common practice.

As Steve says 'our' pike are good to eat, I agree with him when he points out its due to the water in which they live.

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I can see it coming to that.

If the EA and other bodies won't employ the manpower to protect waters and the law fail to effectively prosecute, a vanload of big blokes with big sticks can be very persuasive.

‘Angling club’, metaphor for a vanload of big blokes with big sticks ;)

‘Angling club’, metaphor for a vanload of big blokes with big sticks ;)

It is in the Black Country.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Who do you imagine is doing it? is it Eastern Europeans, if so you may well be right, it's just that I don't see them. Admittedly most of my fishin is off the tourist trail. I did see and briefly spoke to some 'Geordie/Lithuanian' people fishing locall last summer and they were returing their catches and even using a 'bed' (their words..it was a unhooking mat). The same week I saw a very English fellow who appeard to be quite 'pizzed' fishing while bbq'ing (in the shadow of Dodd, so you will know where I mean Rich) 'returing jis pike by holding them by the wrist of the tail and lobbing them out as far as he could. I was on my boat with my 10 year old grandson who sadly witnessed this, but at least he now realises that not all who call themselves anglers are up to much.

I was shown how to fish with set lines for pike in the 60s, it was at least on one water a common practice.

As Steve says 'our' pike are good to eat, I agree with him when he points out its due to the water inwhich they live.

Yep i think its that Eastern European lot that we are supposed to jump to the conclusion are to blame. I'm not sure why as fishing with set lines has probably been going on longer than rod fishing. Plus poaching by any which way that works isn't a new thing for the locals of cumbria or the rest of the British isles for that matter.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Can't be the polish, the trust was paid 30k to get them to act as sporting as the uk contingency. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

All,

Maybe they were Americans on holliday for the Olympics? Can't get into London anyway.

However, "jug lines" (and a million other methods) are not poaching over here.

Phone

Who do you imagine is doing it? is it Eastern Europeans, if so you may well be right, it's just that I don't see them. Admittedly most of my fishin is off the tourist trail. I did see and briefly spoke to some 'Geordie/Lithuanian' people fishing localy last summer and they were returning their catches and even using a 'bed' (their words..it was a unhooking mat). The same week I saw a very English fellow who appeard to be quite 'pizzed' fishing while bbq'ing (in the shadow of Dodd, so you will know where I mean Rich) 'returing jis pike by holding them by the wrist of the tail and lobbing them out as far as he could. I was on my boat with my 10 year old grandson who sadly witnessed this, but at least he now realises that not all who call themselves anglers are up to much.

As Steve says 'our' pike are good to eat, I agree with him when he points out its due to the water in which they live.

I think this is an extremely naive way of looking at it. Although I wouldn't tar all EE's with the same brush (in fact all that I have met on the bank have been polite, had both rod and club licenses and kept to the clubs rules) I think it's ignorant to say that they are not taking fish. Just because you 'don't see them' doesn't mean they're not there, they wouldn't be very good poachers if you did see them would they.

And because some drunk English bloke gets drunk and doesn't return a fish properly, that condones Eastern Europeans stealing fish does it?

Set lines are not common practice now, just like things like the gaff and weighing a fish by putting the hook of the scales under the fish's gills aren't.

And just because pike are good to eat doesn't give people permission to set crude set lines for them does it? Would you still shrug it off if you saw a swan or kingfisher caught up in the line?

For gods sake how do you think the pike would have suffered if it had taken the bait, tethered to it for hours as it slowly died.

I think there's a balance on these issues. You get the 'the polish are taking all the fish' brigade, but then you get people like you, who are just as bad with their head in cuckoo cloud land thinking that it's the magic fairies setting these traps and that it's ok because pike are good to eat and everyone used to use set lines in the 60's.

Edited by davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

The same week I saw a very English fellow who appeard to be quite 'pizzed' fishing while bbq'ing (in the shadow of Dodd, so you will know where I mean Rich) 'returing jis pike by holding them by the wrist of the tail and lobbing them out as far as he could.

Yes there's no denying , I've seen some pretty poor form myself by home grown "anglers" over the last few years.

Admittedly it could be anybody, without seeing who lifted the lines you won't know who the culprits are for sure. It's just that we are out just about every week all year round weather permitting,and I have never came across set lines, especially crude affairs like these, (they weren't even anchored well to hold them in the area) during many years, nor do I know anyone else who has. We showed this stuff to another angler who arrived and he knew of a similar set up which had been found nearby, and there have been a few foreign anglers fishing the general area recently, in fact I arrived to fish one early morning last year and there were some who'd been sleeping in a car over night . Again I suppose that proves nothing, but whoever it is, if you see any they want removed, because the way they had been set, birds were likely to get tangled in them and anglers are likely to be blamed when a passer by finds them.

Edited by Rich_

I think this is an extremely naive way of looking at it. Although I wouldn't tar all EE's with the same brush (in fact all that I have met on the bank have been polite, had both rod and club licenses and kept to the clubs rules) I think it's ignorant to say that they are not taking fish. Just because you 'don't see them' doesn't mean they're not there, they wouldn't be very good poachers if you did see them would they.

And because some drunk English bloke gets drunk and doesn't return a fish properly, that condones Eastern Europeans stealing fish does it?

Set lines are not common practice now, just like things like the gaff and weighing a fish by putting the hook of the scales under thei fish's gills aren't.

And just because pike are good to eat doesn't give people permission to set crude set lines for them does it? Would you still shrug it off if you saw a swan or kingfisher caught up in the line?

For gods sake how do you think the pike would have suffered if it had taken the bait, tethered to it for hours as it slowly died.

I think there's a balance on these issues. You get the 'the polish are taking all the fish' brigade, but then you get people like you, who are just as bad with their head in cuckoo cloud land thinking that it's the magic fairies setting these traps and that it's ok because pike are good to eat and everyone used to use set lines in the 60's.

If you feel that strongly Dave, maybe you should spend a little less time sticking your hooks in fish and a bit more down the super market finding out how the fish most people eat die. :)

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

If you feel that strongly Dave, maybe you should spend a little less time sticking your hooks in fish and a bit more down the super market finding out how the fish most people eat die. :)

So you're saying fish suffering doesn't bother you? There's a difference between catching a fish, unhooking it and releasing it than a fish being tethered to a hook for hours.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."