Cost of fishing tackle in Japan?

PeterNE1

I'm just wondering whether or not there may be people on-site with actual experience of buying fishing tackle actually IN Japan (rather than buying FROM the UK from a Japanese seller)?

I'm trying to guage whether or not prices over there 'across the counter' are measurably different (hopefully cheaper!) than over here, primarliy on reels and lures, as it looks as though I may have an avenue open to me whereby I can have purchases made locally over there, then brought over to the UK FOC and without attracting import duty etc. Unfortunately, the person buying for me has no fishing knowledge whatsoever, so it's very much a case of me providing a specific shopping list :rolleyes: ... equally it means there are unable to shop around and compare prices for me over there in any meaningful way.

This came about after I discovered a VERY nice centrepin reel that Okuma manufacture, but absolutely do not bring into Europe - and all 'official' routes to try to obtain one have so far drawn blanks ... and the reel itself is a long way from being a cheap bit of kit, much more expensive than what is currently on offer here.

It's available in the US - apart from the fact that no dealer anywhere who lists them has yet been able to get stock (and even then, they are apparently 'forbidden' by Okuma to export the reels!!

So: this particular reel aside, can anyone tell me what to expect generally, comparing across-the-counter prices between Japan and the UK, bearing in mind that I'm looking primarily at reels and lures?

Thanks!

The okuma VS spinning reels where £199 each in the uk and direct from malaysia they cost me £50 so obviously if you could get a contact over there you'd be :lol:

I've got the contact, though in this case it's for mainland Japan (on the north island) - very much a case of dropping them an email with a request to purchase, then waiting for arrival when they are next in the UK, which is every couple of weeks maximum. Rods could be a bit of a problem due to their length, but pretty much anything else is good to go - just need a way of establishing prices first, as EVERY Japanese retailer I've found if invariably advertising in Japanese (naturally), with no English alternative, and Google translate etc is worse than useless!

I've got the contact, though in this case it's for mainland Japan (on the north island) - very much a case of dropping them an email with a request to purchase, then waiting for arrival when they are next in the UK, which is every couple of weeks maximum. Rods could be a bit of a problem due to their length, but pretty much anything else is good to go - just need a way of establishing prices first, as EVERY Japanese retailer I've found if invariably advertising in Japanese (naturally), with no English alternative, and Google translate etc is worse than useless!

You'll be needing a translater then :)

I've imported plenty of gear from Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand and had some real bargains.

Surely you can work out what you're prepared to pay using the various JDM tackle retailers and/or translations of Japanese sites and send an e-mail saying "If you can get this specific reel for less than ¥??, bring me one".

Quite apart from anything else, a willing customer with a set budget, is a hell of an incentive to offer a discount.

The exchange rate is currently pretty good but I doubt you'll get the super bargains to be had in SE Asia.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Tell us more about this pin Peter and a pic would be nice

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Tell us more about this pin Peter and a pic would be nice

Hi Alan: the reel has been very recently re-named, and now carries the nifty title of a RAW II 463 Mooching Reel. It's a design definitely more modern in appearance than traditional, and although it is being marketed as a mooching reel, I've had my hands on one for a couple of hours and am seriously impressed - it runs as well / easily as any 'pin I've ever played with, but is of a much more solid construction than most, without feeling at all ungainly.

Based on what I've seen of the reel and initial impressions, I'd put it up there with the top Kingpins etc, but it's very 'bling' compared to most, so may not appeal to some anglers :-) ... runs as well as a trotting reel and would perform well even with a very light float, but with masses of built-in power too - I've a specific purpose in mind IF I can get my hands on one.

Downside is that dealers across the pond have this priced as a $400 reel, and from experience I know that in very general terms a by-the-books purchase from the US can end up costing the same figure, but pounds rather than dollars.

Unfortuantely (at this stage) it appears that Okuma Japan appears to be a franchise within a much larger tackle dealership, but as yet the Okuma part of their website is not complete or functioning.

I'm afraid the best I can do at this stage is offer a link to the international Okuma site ... unless I can persuade someone to part with their reel next time I see them :-)

RAW II 463 Mooching Reel

I can have purchases made locally over there, then brought over to the UK FOC and without attracting import duty etc.

This is called smuggling!

Dont even bother arguing about personal this that and the other - you are BUYING goods abroad and then importing them and therefore the full law applies regardless if they are for personal use or for selling within the european community.

It does not matter if they are carried by sea/air/overland/courier they are liable for import duty depending on classification and 20% VAT on the CIF price.

All importers must now be VAT reg and also need to apply for an EORI number to show on their customs declarations.

We know people have stuff sent marked as Gift, samples or various other guises but more people are now getting a calling card from their couriers telling them they need to pay duty/vat as packages have been checked by HMRC who keep a record and will investigate individuals suspected of smuggling.

I should know what I am talking about as For the last 20 years I have worked in the customs clearance dept for the UK's largest independant freight forwarding company and worked for another two for a few years before that and deal with several supermarkets, many large corporations / multinationals and alot of various other importers and have had to deal with endless HMRC audits and customs declarations.

PS I do import for several well known tackle companies :D

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

All that marking an item as a gift on the customs form ever did was raise the minimum amount at which you owed import fees (doubled the VAT limit I think) but once that amount was reached, import fees were the same as for merchandise. It also increased chances of the item being inspected I think.

It's basically a lie normally used by ignorant people who assume that gift = no import fees.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The duty free allowance is as follows for non-EU countries from the HMRC website

Other goods including perfume and souvenirs

You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty.

If you arrive by private plane or private boat for pleasure purposes, you can only bring in other goods worth up to £270 tax and duty free.

If you bring in any single item worth more than your allowance, you must pay duty and/or tax on the full item value, not just the value above the allowance. You also cannot group individual allowances together to bring in an item worth more than the limit.

Read about which countries are in the EU in Notice 1 Travelling to the UK

Additional conditions when bringing goods into the UK

To qualify for the tax/duty free allowances you also need to meet the following conditions:

•You must transport the goods yourself.

•The goods must be for your own use or as a gift. If the person you give the goods to pays you in any way (including reimbursing you for any expenses), then it's not a gift and you'll have to pay the duty and/or tax.

So if you only bring a reel up to £390 and no other gifts you will be ok. Frequent trips should build up a supply on the little and often principle

Edited by wotnobivvy

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not