Fish shaped spinner

cannibalspinners

Cannibal

Are those decals on precast blanks? Problem is (at least in the US) that configuration is so cheap and yet so much work has to go into them when producing on a small scale it isn't economically feasible for you. Of course you personally will receive the satisfaction and I admire that. Can you trick them out in some fashion? For example (althought not necessarily a suggestion) how about hologram eyes are very cheap. The "hot" thing now is cut in the middle and beveled to make them wiggle. I like feathers although I'm not sure about the fish. Stuff like that.

If they are a fishing success you still have the problem of making them a business success. Fishing lures are like beef steak. You sell the sizzle not the meat.

Again, if I didn't say so, they are cool looking.

Well, I'd say that most good lures bear little resemblance to fish whatsoever.

Look at Mepps, Sliders, Mantas, spinnerbaits etc. They don't look like anything alive and as for colours, it seems red/white/gold spinners do a fair amount of damage and black surface baits are difficult to beat, which is why I often repaint a perfectly good, realistic, trout pattern plug. Chartreuse skirts on bucktails, spinnerbaits etc. rate highly and my favourite shad colour is fluoro pink.

What have a learned?

This all tells me that 'realistic' is last on the agenda when it comes to successful lures.

I caught loads of pollack up in Norway on 4 inch nails. Cut the head off, swivel on one end, treble on the other and a bend in the middle. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I think sliders are quite realistic bud?

Some do come with decals on them but they work just as well in black, sunburst red, firetiger and plain white. They certainly don't move like a fish, being a walk-the-dog jerkbait, they have huge trebles hanging off them and on my gear, a heavy single wire jerkbait trace, attached to 80lb braid.

I don't think realism is the key to the sliders' success. The point I was making was the fish-like decals on lures are not the reason they work.

Sliders aside then, how do you explain the success of the other lures I've mentioned??

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

There's a lot in lure fishing literature showing that realistic finishes catch no more fish. Indeed, in many cases they actually catch less than finishes that over-emphasise certain features, stripes being one example. These also show up when the lure is on the move, when it looks very different to when it's stationary. This would especially apply to spinners.

You may well score with these spinners, but I doubt that it would be because of the finish.

But I agree - they certainly look great!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

All

Andy and Steve's comments remind me of a three day summer session while two semi-drunk pals cussed and discussed the finer points of which is best, the Dardevle red and white 3 stripe spoon or the 5 of diamonds red and yellow spoon. All whilst I was carp fishing.

Phone

Now those are some proper spoons.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...